Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: The political dynamics of Utah's congressional districts
Webb: Rep. Rob Bishop has been a very conservative, very reliable lawmaker for many years. He's been a tea party favorite and hasn't faced serious competition either from within or without the Republican Party. But in today's tumultuous politics, even Bishop could face a challenge from his right. With Utah's nomination process dominated by the far right, no one can be comfortable.
Pignanelli: I have heard that some tea party activists may challenge Bishop because he did not comply with 100 percent of whatever agenda they pulled from the mother-ship orbiting Jupiter. The best response is to laugh.
Webb: Rep. Jason Chaffetz should cruise to the GOP nomination and easily win the general election. But Chaffetz also is hearing grumbling from some tea party quarters because he is a visible and vocal Mitt Romney supporter.
Pignanelli: Some believe Chaffetz's actions on behalf of Romney is an angle for a job. I disagree. I love playing explosive video games with my boys — so we can deliver all sorts of virtual TNT to our cyber-enemies. Chaffetz is on a similar high — blasting political opponents is fun and great publicity. The congressman is obviously enjoying the detonation of so many targets (Newt Gingrich and President Barack Obama supporters).
Republican LaVarr Webb is a political consultant and lobbyist. Previously he was policy deputy to Gov. Mike Leavitt and Deseret News managing editor. Email: email@example.com. Democrat Frank Pignanelli is a Salt Lake attorney, lobbyist and political adviser. Pignanelli served 10 years in the Utah House of Representatives, six years as minority leader. His spouse, D'Arcy Dixon Pignanelli, is a state tax commissioner. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In our opinion: Despite dip in observance,...
- John Florez: The key to El Paso is understanding
- Turning back the tide of sexual promiscuity...
- Robert J. Samuelson: Why tax reform is doomed
- Kathleen Parker: Karma tastes rich in new,...
- In our opinion: Utah proud to be cutting edge...
- Letter: Constitutional republic
- My view: New labor rule may harm Utah's...
- In our opinion: People desire fair,... 49
- In our opinion: The public health... 39
- Letter: Constitutional republic 29
- Letter: Utah GOP divided 28
- Richard Davis: Medical marijuana issue... 24
- My view: New labor rule may harm Utah's... 23
- Letter: Respect the governor 21
- In our opinion: Troops in Syria makes... 20