Susan Walsh, Associated Press
The great U.S. President Abraham Lincoln chose for himself a Cabinet that had members that were certainly not his friends and often opposed him and his views. Yet he wanted their expertise and input, and they helped salvage the nation at a troubled time in history.
Mitt Romney can follow Lincoln's example and potentially save our country from myriad threats now facing us by doing the following when staffing his cabinet:
Vice president, Newt Gingrich. He is a great idea person, but at times needs someone to filter his exuberance. Secretary of state, Rick Santorum. He has an excellent grasp on foreign affairs. Secretary of treasury, Herman Cain. His 9-9-9 tax plan would be a great start to reforming tax policies. Homeland Security, Rick Perry. He has told us he can stop illegal immigration within one year. Secretary of commerce, Jon Huntsman. Let him use his international and state governor experience to better our economy.
Health and Human Services, Michelle Bachman. She has wonderful ideas on how to get rid of Obamacare and come up with a workable health system.
This would unify the Republican Party and give our nation superb leadership.
- In our opinion: National security and the...
- Robert J. Samuelson: The false charms of...
- Ralph Hancock: The anti-establishment delusion
- My view: They run toward danger
- Jay Evensen: On Second Thought: The 1 percent...
- Is it time for our first woman president?
- Barack Obama: Religious freedom keeps us strong
- Medicare Advantage
- In our opinion: National security and... 66
- Is it time for our first woman president? 55
- Robert J. Samuelson: The false charms... 43
- Letter: Hillary and FOIA 18
- Letter: No labels in 2016? 17
- In our opinion: The lesson of... 17
- Ralph Hancock: The anti-establishment... 16
- Arthur Cyr: US presidential politics... 13