When the New England Patriots and New York Giants face off next week in Super Bowl XLVI, perhaps the most compelling game-within-the-game will be the way television advertisements attempt to entice potential customers with sex appeal.
"Sexy ads are slinking back to the Super Bowl," Bruce Horovitz writes for USA Today. "At stake: the eyeballs of more than 100 million Super Bowl viewers. And the urgent need to drive all of them online to find out more, socialize and tweet with friends and ultimately buy that beer, smartphone or luxury car. Thirty-some advertisers will spend upwards of $230 million just for the airtime to fight for attention in the Feb. 5 game."
A Super Bowl ad this year costs $3.5 million for 30 seconds.
Earlier this football season, the Deseret News examined the way racy ads during televised sporting events can affect families.
"Long gone are the days when the commercials running alongside sports programming can be counted on to be family-friendly. Today, a father watching football with his family must be ready to distract kids during commercial breaks or altogether skip ads via DVR. Because without a screening strategy in place, kids who watch sports on TV will be subjected — regardless of time of day — to unrated, hypersexual, male-oriented advertising promoting products like erectile dysfunction drugs, or implying that the use of Axe hair-care products can lead to spontaneous sexual encounters."
- 5 PG movies that aren't exactly kid friendly
- The Clean Cut: Jennifer Lawrence makes first...
- The Clean Cut: Two popular YouTube singers...
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention...
- NBC announces lead for live musical 'Peter Pan'
- Elegant Louvre Garden in Paris infested with...
- A dozen children's books I could read every day
- Man without arms and legs has a message about...
- 5 PG movies that aren't exactly kid... 11
- Sarah Palin launches online... 10
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention... 8
- First trailer for 'The Hobbit: The... 3
- The Clean Cut: Jennifer Lawrence makes... 2
- Elegant Louvre Garden in Paris infested... 1
- George W. Bush writes book about father 1
- Behind the scenes of the Utah... 1