BIG MIRACLE — Inspired by a true story, a news reporter and his Greenpeace volunteer ex-girlfriend lead a campaign in a small Alaskan town to save a family of gray whales trapped by rapidly forming ice. 107 minutes; PG (language); Shawn O'Neill, for the Deseret News: ★★★
CHRONICLE — Three high school friends make a discovery that leads them to develop special powers. Their darker sides emerge as they learn to control their new abilities. 83 minutes; PG-13 (intense action and violence, thematic material, some language, sexual content and teen drinking); Roger Moore, MCT: ★★★
SHAME — A New Yorker (Michael Fassbender) lives his life acting out on his addiction to sex. His private life spins out of control when his younger sister moves into his apartment, reminding him of their painful past. 107 minutes; NC-17(some explicit sexual content ); (Broadway); Roger Moore, MCT: ★★★
THE WOMAN IN BLACK — A young lawyer travels to a remote village where he discovers the vengeful ghost of a scorned woman is terrorizing the locals. 95 minutes; PG-13 (thematic material and violence/disturbing images); Roger Moore, MCT: ★★★
AMERICAN TEACHER — Free screening (Feb. 9, 6:30 p.m.: Film and Media Arts Building, U.)
ANNIE HALL — Free screening (Feb. 3, 6:30 p.m.: Orem Library)
ARMY OF SHADOWS — 1969 film (Tower)
BEAUTY AND THE BEAST 3D — (Layton Hills, Century South Salt Lake, Century Sandy, Provo Towne Center, Jordan Landing, Tinseltown Ogden, Tinseltown Layton, University Mall, Cinemark Farmington, Gateway, Junction, Jordan Commons, District, Thanksgiving Point, Legacy Crossing)
BRAZIL — Free screening (Feb. 6, 7 p.m.: Tower)
CAPTAIN ABU RAED — Anthropology film series (Feb. 8, 5:30 p.m.: Utah Museum of Fine Arts)
DRIVE — Free screening (Feb. 8, 7 p.m.: Post Theatre, U.)
ELLA CINDERS — Silent film (Feb. 9, 7:30 p.m.: The Organ Loft)
GROUNDHOG DAY — Film Buff Night at Brewvies (Feb. 6, 10 p.m.: Brewvies, must be 21 or older)
HUGO 3D — (Century South Salt Lake, Century Sandy, Cinemark Bountiful, Tinseltown Layton, Cinemark Farmington)
THE LIZARD AND THE LADDER — 3D cartoon (Feb. 8, 10:30 a.m.: Ragan Theater, UVU)
LOUDER THAN A BOMB — Free screening (Feb. 7, 7 p.m.: Salt Lake City Library)
A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS — Free screening (Feb. 6, 6:30 p.m.: Orem Library)
UNDERWORLD: AWAKENING 3D — (Carmike 12, Ritz, Jordan Landing, Gateway, Junction, Jordan Commons, District, Legacy Crossing)
UNFINISHED BUSINESS — Documentary screening (Feb. 3, 7 p.m.: Utah Museum of Contemporary Art)
WHAT'S ON YOUR PLATE — Free screening (Feb. 4, 11 a.m.: Salt Lake City Library)
BORN TO BE WILD — A documentary about orphaned orangutans and elephants and the people who seek to rescue and raise them. 40 minutes; G (nothing offensive) (Clark Planetarium)
DINOSAURS ALIVE — American Museum of Natural History paleontologists explore dinosaur history. (Thanksgiving Point)
- Rupert Murdoch vows Fox News without Ailes is...
- Fox needs to find a successor to man who...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Trump takes time from victory lap to swat at...
- Concert review: The Piano Guys receive first...
- Game review: Aquarium: Gather fish and build...
- Chris Hicks: Several vintage movies make...
- Rupert Murdoch vows Fox News without... 12
- Trump takes time from victory lap to... 12
- Stephen Colbert is back to take on the... 9
- Chris Hicks: Movies to watch over the... 3
- Fox needs to find a successor to man... 2
- Concert review: The Piano Guys receive... 1
- Why ‘Rogue One’ will be... 1
- Life lessons keep coming from Star Trek... 1