Signing day: Pleasant Grove prep standout Brandon Fanaika sticks with Stanford despite efforts by Utes, BYU, Cal
» Follow the Deseret News sports team for more high school signing day updates.
PLEASANT GROVE — Top offensive line recruit Brandon Fanaika had seemingly rested on Stanford after committing to them early in January. The commit to the Cardinal seemingly ended the process for the 6-3, 285-pound offensive line prospect until he made an official visit to Utah.
According to Fanaika, he was visiting Utah just to see what was out there while having no plans on changing his commit. Utah did a good job convincing him that Stanford may not be his best option, however, and he reopened his recruiting.
Utah kept up the pressure leading up to letter of intent day — sending a bevy of coaches by his home to try and get him to change his commit. Fanaika was taken by Utah's proximity along with having so many friends as part of the Ute program.
It wasn't just Utah, however, as Fanaika texted to the media that he was still considering Cal and BYU. In the end though, he stayed with Stanford.
"It's hard to get accepted to Stanford and not go," Fanaika told the media after his commitment ceremony. "It's still close to home, and it's a chance to get a great education while playing for a great football program."
Fanaika was rated as a four-star prospect by rivals.com and held as many as nine offers up to his signing with Stanford.
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for NBA...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's unexpected NCAA qualifier...
- Guest commentary: Should the Jazz trade their...
- Syracuse sophomore Hunter Woodhall chases...
- His legacy at BYU secure, Tyler Haws...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- How to get a ballpark-like lawn (+video)
- Photo gallery: NFL players with local ties...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 120
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 66
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 32
- Brad Rock: Tackle football for girls... 24
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for... 21
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 14
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8