CLEVELAND — Cavaliers guard Daniel Gibson could be sidelined for a few more days with a neck infection that landed him in a Boston hospital.
Gibson was released Tuesday from Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center with a "soft tissue" infection in his neck. Gibson stayed behind after the team played the Celtics on Sunday night. The 25-year-old is being treated with antibiotics.
Cavs coach Byron Scott said Gibson will undergo more tests Wednesday in Cleveland.
"He's feeling a lot better," Scott said before the Cavs hosted the Celtics. "I do know the Cleveland Clinic (doctors) are going to do more tests to make sure everything is OK. But other than that, we're just glad he's OK."
Scott said Gibson's return to the floor will be determined after he's evaluated by team doctors. The Cavs play at Orlando on Friday and host Dallas on Saturday.
With both Gibson and Anthony Parker (back) out, rookie Mychel Thompson made his first career start at shooting guard against the Celtics.
Thompson played the entire fourth quarter in Cleveland's comeback win on Sunday in Boston, and Scott was impressed with the youngster's poise.
"He'll be fine with the veterans we have out there," Scott said of Thompson, whose father, Mychal, was a No. 1 overall pick and played 12 seasons in the NBA. "I thought he was excited to get in and play. When I called his name I looked dead at him and didn't get the deer-in-the-headlights look. He just took his shirt off like he was ready to go and he went out there and played that way."
Parker doesn't know when he'll be back. He's had a back issue for several weeks and he aggravated the ailment in the first quarter on Sunday.
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Utah Jazz: Future of Trevor Booker, Joe...
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- Utah gymnastics: Red Rocks finish second to...
- Optimism abounds for the Utah Jazz's future
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Utah football: Dres Anderson shines in... 58
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 32
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 25
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Video: Utah football coaches revved up... 16