CLEVELAND — Cavaliers guard Daniel Gibson could be sidelined for a few more days with a neck infection that landed him in a Boston hospital.
Gibson was released Tuesday from Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center with a "soft tissue" infection in his neck. Gibson stayed behind after the team played the Celtics on Sunday night. The 25-year-old is being treated with antibiotics.
Cavs coach Byron Scott said Gibson will undergo more tests Wednesday in Cleveland.
"He's feeling a lot better," Scott said before the Cavs hosted the Celtics. "I do know the Cleveland Clinic (doctors) are going to do more tests to make sure everything is OK. But other than that, we're just glad he's OK."
Scott said Gibson's return to the floor will be determined after he's evaluated by team doctors. The Cavs play at Orlando on Friday and host Dallas on Saturday.
With both Gibson and Anthony Parker (back) out, rookie Mychel Thompson made his first career start at shooting guard against the Celtics.
Thompson played the entire fourth quarter in Cleveland's comeback win on Sunday in Boston, and Scott was impressed with the youngster's poise.
"He'll be fine with the veterans we have out there," Scott said of Thompson, whose father, Mychal, was a No. 1 overall pick and played 12 seasons in the NBA. "I thought he was excited to get in and play. When I called his name I looked dead at him and didn't get the deer-in-the-headlights look. He just took his shirt off like he was ready to go and he went out there and played that way."
Parker doesn't know when he'll be back. He's had a back issue for several weeks and he aggravated the ailment in the first quarter on Sunday.
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very little
- Felt's Facts Week 2: Utah high school...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- College football predictions: How will... 140
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- First steps: Utes open season with... 55
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 44
- Utah football: Utes eye successful start 42