Utah Jazz: Gordon Hayward finds his shot in the second half
Tom Smart, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Gordon Hayward's shot was wayward in the first half, when he went 0-for-8 and missed several layups.
But he was 3-for-4 in the second half and helped ignite the Jazz's 93-89 comeback victory over Portland with a layup and 3-pointer in the third quarter.
Hayward scored all 12 points in the second half.
"I just kind of pictured it as a new game. Just go out there and forget about he first half," he said. "What happened then doesn't matter now. Just go out there and fresh start."
Getting — and making — an easy bucket helped get his mojo back.
"Any time you can see the ball go in, it gives you a lot more confidence, the basket gets a little bit bigger," the second-year player said. "Then I stepped into a three and knocked that down and started going from there. It was really good to get going."
MISC.: The Jazz used their fourth starting lineup with Devin Harris, Hayward, Howard, Paul Millsap and Favors. . . . Millsap recorded his seventh double-double of the season with 19 points and a season-high 15 rebounds. . . . Utah outrebounded Portland 51-37.
- Ranking the best fits for the Utah Jazz in...
- Rodney Hood, Dante Exum highlight Utah Jazz...
- Contract delay keeps Utah Jazz rookie Trey...
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to be...
- Utah Utes enjoy banner year as seven teams...
- BYU Cougars finish year with five ranked...
- Class of 2015: Utah high school athletes with...
- You don't know Jack (Cooley)? Learn about...
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for... 101
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to... 86
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why... 56
- Morning links: New BYU commit's late... 31
- Morning links: Damian Lillard, Paul... 31
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A... 28
- Brad Rock: Hatfield, Natson incidents... 28
- Utah football player Dominique Hatfield... 23