Utah Jazz: Gordon Hayward finds his shot in the second half
Tom Smart, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Gordon Hayward's shot was wayward in the first half, when he went 0-for-8 and missed several layups.
But he was 3-for-4 in the second half and helped ignite the Jazz's 93-89 comeback victory over Portland with a layup and 3-pointer in the third quarter.
Hayward scored all 12 points in the second half.
"I just kind of pictured it as a new game. Just go out there and forget about he first half," he said. "What happened then doesn't matter now. Just go out there and fresh start."
Getting — and making — an easy bucket helped get his mojo back.
"Any time you can see the ball go in, it gives you a lot more confidence, the basket gets a little bit bigger," the second-year player said. "Then I stepped into a three and knocked that down and started going from there. It was really good to get going."
MISC.: The Jazz used their fourth starting lineup with Devin Harris, Hayward, Howard, Paul Millsap and Favors. . . . Millsap recorded his seventh double-double of the season with 19 points and a season-high 15 rebounds. . . . Utah outrebounded Portland 51-37.
- Football legend Brett Favre drops in on Alta...
- Final preseason breakdown of BYU, Utah and...
- Peavler: Final preseason breakdown of BYU,...
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah players take blame like...
- BYU's Bronson Kaufusi eager to display new...
- BYU camp report: Taysom Hill throws a pair of...
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real possibility...
- BYU assistant football coach is also Bishop...
- College football: BYU, Utah State... 139
- Travis Wilson edges out Kendal Thompson... 100
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real... 75
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU... 74
- ESPN lists BYU and Utah State as... 65
- Dick Harmon: Will Utah State, BYU be... 46
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will... 45
- BYU's offense 'too sloppy' in scrimmage 29