Utah Jazz: Gordon Hayward finds his shot in the second half
Tom Smart, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Gordon Hayward's shot was wayward in the first half, when he went 0-for-8 and missed several layups.
But he was 3-for-4 in the second half and helped ignite the Jazz's 93-89 comeback victory over Portland with a layup and 3-pointer in the third quarter.
Hayward scored all 12 points in the second half.
"I just kind of pictured it as a new game. Just go out there and forget about he first half," he said. "What happened then doesn't matter now. Just go out there and fresh start."
Getting — and making — an easy bucket helped get his mojo back.
"Any time you can see the ball go in, it gives you a lot more confidence, the basket gets a little bit bigger," the second-year player said. "Then I stepped into a three and knocked that down and started going from there. It was really good to get going."
MISC.: The Jazz used their fourth starting lineup with Devin Harris, Hayward, Howard, Paul Millsap and Favors. . . . Millsap recorded his seventh double-double of the season with 19 points and a season-high 15 rebounds. . . . Utah outrebounded Portland 51-37.
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford to...
- NFL locals photo gallery: Kyle Van Noy and...
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- A good life: Former Weber State, NFL...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- BYU football: Cougars announce future games...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 123
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 106
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 99
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're... 68
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford... 62
- BYU football: Cougars announce future... 53
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 51
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 29