Utah Jazz: Gordon Hayward finds his shot in the second half
Tom Smart, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Gordon Hayward's shot was wayward in the first half, when he went 0-for-8 and missed several layups.
But he was 3-for-4 in the second half and helped ignite the Jazz's 93-89 comeback victory over Portland with a layup and 3-pointer in the third quarter.
Hayward scored all 12 points in the second half.
"I just kind of pictured it as a new game. Just go out there and forget about he first half," he said. "What happened then doesn't matter now. Just go out there and fresh start."
Getting — and making — an easy bucket helped get his mojo back.
"Any time you can see the ball go in, it gives you a lot more confidence, the basket gets a little bit bigger," the second-year player said. "Then I stepped into a three and knocked that down and started going from there. It was really good to get going."
MISC.: The Jazz used their fourth starting lineup with Devin Harris, Hayward, Howard, Paul Millsap and Favors. . . . Millsap recorded his seventh double-double of the season with 19 points and a season-high 15 rebounds. . . . Utah outrebounded Portland 51-37.
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- Utah football: Utes to take on a familiar...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Utah State infographic: Aggies' Keeton...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 59
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 29
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28