We should thank Michelle Obama for trying to improve school lunch menus for our kids. Most of what she has proposed is healthy, with one glaring but common error: reducing milk to low-fat is trouble for our kids.
Kids don't get enough good healthy fats anymore. Kids (and adults) don't get fat by eating fat. That is a commonly misunderstood nutritional impossibility. We get fat by eating too many carbohydrates. Carbs are easily converted to sugar. When we get too much sugar it is converted to fat and deposited throughout the body.
Good fats on the other hand provide essential fatty acids needed for brain cell development and to enhance the immune system. The scarcity of essential fats leads to ADD in kids and Alzheimer's in adults. It is essential that we restore whole milk to the school lunch menu.
- Ralph Hancock: Society cannot 'progress'...
- Letter: Moral decline
- John Hoffmire: Unknowingly raising another...
- My view: Medicaid will sting Beehive State's...
- Brian S. Brown: In defending marriage, Utah...
- Robert Bennett: Obama should not move forward...
- Letter: My sons
- In our opinion: Some universities targeting...
- Letter: Moral decline 84
- In our opinion: Utah should change law... 81
- Letter: Climate denial 62
- Brian S. Brown: In defending marriage,... 51
- In our opinion: Some universities... 45
- Politico Magazine: If Mitt Romney runs... 44
- Ralph Hancock: Society cannot... 43
- Robert Bennett: Obama should not move... 40