Watson mentioned that people claim you have to match Portland's energy. And added, "I'm the opposite — make them match our energy and just keep pushing and pushing and pushing, and we got the W."
The win improved Utah's record to 12-7, and snapped a three-game losing streak to Portland. More importantly, it gave the Jazz an early edge over the Blazers (12-9) in tiebreakers and postseason positioning.
"It's huge, especially if you think of the playoff race," Hayward said.
It showed "a lot of pride," he said of bouncing back from the rough start and 45-39 halftime deficit.
"None of us wanted to go out like that in our own building," Hayward said. "It was a lot of grit, a lot of fight. We hate losing. It was good for us to get this win."
Their stats weren't as gaudy, but this win wouldn't have been possible with the defensive contribution of Enes Kanter and the high-flying act by Evans (five points).
Watson thought the win showed a lot about the Jazz, who were able to rally even without starters Jefferson and Bell (strained right adductor).
"It was just focus, locking in, picking up the details, staying together," he said. "Our chemistry was off. Two starters is out is tough.
One of those starters (Big Al) is a major, major factor on offense. The other (Bell) is a catalyst on defense. That's a big adjustment. A lot of teams would just fold shooting 38 percent, but it showed our will and determination (and) it's not in the box scores."
It is in the win column, though.
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- Dick Harmon: John Beck very impressed with...
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Utah Jazz: Better game but same losing result...
- Brad Rock: Jazz dreaming of a Blazing future
- BYU football: Cougars to play Washington in...
- Prognosticating, for fun, a bright BYU...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 102
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 64
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 52
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 46
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 43
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34