Watson mentioned that people claim you have to match Portland's energy. And added, "I'm the opposite — make them match our energy and just keep pushing and pushing and pushing, and we got the W."
The win improved Utah's record to 12-7, and snapped a three-game losing streak to Portland. More importantly, it gave the Jazz an early edge over the Blazers (12-9) in tiebreakers and postseason positioning.
"It's huge, especially if you think of the playoff race," Hayward said.
It showed "a lot of pride," he said of bouncing back from the rough start and 45-39 halftime deficit.
"None of us wanted to go out like that in our own building," Hayward said. "It was a lot of grit, a lot of fight. We hate losing. It was good for us to get this win."
Their stats weren't as gaudy, but this win wouldn't have been possible with the defensive contribution of Enes Kanter and the high-flying act by Evans (five points).
Watson thought the win showed a lot about the Jazz, who were able to rally even without starters Jefferson and Bell (strained right adductor).
"It was just focus, locking in, picking up the details, staying together," he said. "Our chemistry was off. Two starters is out is tough.
One of those starters (Big Al) is a major, major factor on offense. The other (Bell) is a catalyst on defense. That's a big adjustment. A lot of teams would just fold shooting 38 percent, but it showed our will and determination (and) it's not in the box scores."
It is in the win column, though.
- High school football: Reigning Mr. Football...
- Quinton Pedroza dismissed from Utah Utes...
- Ryan Teeples: BYU sports is for BYUtv, not...
- Brad Rock: If the NFL could add a team in...
- Dick Harmon: Bronco Mendenhall and Cecil O....
- Twitter reaction: U.S. men's soccer team...
- Utah Jazz: Possible Jazz draftee Michael...
- More than just football: Alema Te'o promotes...
- BYU football: Cougars must secure their... 184
- High school football: Reigning Mr.... 69
- Quinton Pedroza dismissed from Utah... 43
- Dick Harmon: Bronco Mendenhall and... 36
- Utes basketball: Utah conducting... 33
- Ryan Teeples: BYU sports is for BYUtv,... 14
- Brad Rock: USU coach Matt Wells has... 11
- University of Utah 'restructures'... 11