WEST VALLEY CITY — The Utah Grizzlies battled back from a 4-0 deficit to defeat the Idaho Steelheads 5-4 in a shootout Monday night at Maverik Center.
Utah trailed 4-0 with 3 minutes left in the second period before a Nick Tuzzolino (6) power-play goal made it 4-1 going to the second intermission.
Late in the third, Utah made it 4-2 with 5:30 left and tied the game 2:45 later capping off three-straight goals with 2:45 left in regulation. Mitch Wahl (8, 9) scored two of the three goals, with the first coming as he picked up a puck in front and went point blank on Idaho goaltender Jerry Kuhn. The tying goal came as he navigated through traffic from the blue line and drove towards the net. Logan MacMillan (4) made it 4-3 as he hammered in a puck 28 seconds after the Grizzlies made it 4-2 and then won an offensive zone face-off.
"The battle back is positive," said Grizzlies Head Coach Kevin Colley. "We need to start the games quick and get teams back on their heels instead of redeeming ourselves and trying to fight back. But, we haven't had a comeback game like this in a long long time and you can definitely build on this as a team. The guys fought until the very end and we got the two points in the shootout. It's another learning tool that we have to put under our cap for the future."
- Source: Kyle Whittingham not being forced out...
- Amy Donaldson: South Jordan mom eyes Boston...
- Brad Rock: Silence is the wrong approach for...
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act together
- Bingham nearly topples undefeated Florida...
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look at...
- Dick Harmon: BYU starters lose 3-point range...
- Meet the 21 Utah ties on the NFL playoff rosters
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 75
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 63
- Source: Kyle Whittingham not being... 45
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football... 41
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act... 38
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look... 21
- Dick Harmon: BYU starters lose 3-point... 15
- Pangos, Wiltjer lead Gonzaga to victory... 13