GUARDS: Devin Harris played efficiently with 13 points, four assists and just one turnover in 23 minutes. Gordon Hayward, who moved over to shooting guard from his usual small forward spot with Raja Bell sitting out, followed up a disastrous first half with a solid second half. He had 12 points after halftime, and his offensive rebound after a missed free throw by C.J. Miles in the final seconds was one of the game's biggest plays.
FORWARDS: Paul Millsap was another player who greatly improved after halftime. He finished with 19 points and 15 rebounds, and his turnaround jumper with 1:43 remaining put Utah up 89-84. Josh Howard was OK in his first start of the season, finishing with 11 points and seven rebounds. LaMarcus Aldridge had 25 points for Portland, but scored just two in the fourth quarter.
CENTERS: Derrick Favors started in place of Al Jefferson. He had eight points and six rebounds and didn't play in the fourth quarter. His contributions came on defense. Marcus Camby is hardly a threat to score, but he had six points in the first quarter.
BENCH: The Jazz bench was outscored 35-30, but Utah wouldn't have won this game without its reserves. Earl Watson was again the sparkplug for the second team, and Miles scored 15 points. Jeremy Evans gave the Jazz a boost with a put-back dunk and an alley-oop dunk in the fourth quarter. Enes Kanter also provided the team with a great defensive effort.
OVERALL: The Jazz could have folded after being down 11 points in the third quarter, but instead kept fighting and earned a shorthanded victory over a division opponent. They killed the Trail Blazers on the boards, and had a big advantage in second-chance points. With Jefferson and Bell out of the lineup, this qualifies as one of Utah's best wins of the season.
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of NFL...
- Aggie linebackers stick together in third...
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL draftee
- Niumatalolo and Navy make another trip to the...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- No home games for 7 weeks? RSL explains why a...
- 2016 NFL draft: Southern Utah's Miles...
- Guest commentary: BYU football and basketball...
- Morning links: BYU's Eric Mika returns... 91
- BYU basketball: Cougars to play USC... 49
- Having freshman QBs is a mixed bag for... 23
- Oakland Raiders owner says he will... 20
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of... 20
- 2016 NFL draft: Local players who might... 14
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL... 13
- BYU football announces full spring... 12