GUARDS: Devin Harris played efficiently with 13 points, four assists and just one turnover in 23 minutes. Gordon Hayward, who moved over to shooting guard from his usual small forward spot with Raja Bell sitting out, followed up a disastrous first half with a solid second half. He had 12 points after halftime, and his offensive rebound after a missed free throw by C.J. Miles in the final seconds was one of the game's biggest plays.
FORWARDS: Paul Millsap was another player who greatly improved after halftime. He finished with 19 points and 15 rebounds, and his turnaround jumper with 1:43 remaining put Utah up 89-84. Josh Howard was OK in his first start of the season, finishing with 11 points and seven rebounds. LaMarcus Aldridge had 25 points for Portland, but scored just two in the fourth quarter.
CENTERS: Derrick Favors started in place of Al Jefferson. He had eight points and six rebounds and didn't play in the fourth quarter. His contributions came on defense. Marcus Camby is hardly a threat to score, but he had six points in the first quarter.
BENCH: The Jazz bench was outscored 35-30, but Utah wouldn't have won this game without its reserves. Earl Watson was again the sparkplug for the second team, and Miles scored 15 points. Jeremy Evans gave the Jazz a boost with a put-back dunk and an alley-oop dunk in the fourth quarter. Enes Kanter also provided the team with a great defensive effort.
OVERALL: The Jazz could have folded after being down 11 points in the third quarter, but instead kept fighting and earned a shorthanded victory over a division opponent. They killed the Trail Blazers on the boards, and had a big advantage in second-chance points. With Jefferson and Bell out of the lineup, this qualifies as one of Utah's best wins of the season.
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former longtime Utah Jazz broadcaster Hot Rod...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes as...
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in spite...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 102
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 27
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 21
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 16