Utah lands big lineman recruit out of Texas
Lutui picks Utes over USC, BYU and others; will sign Wednesday
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah football picked up a big commitment from Texas on Monday. Hiva Lutui, a 6-foot-2, 285-pound offensive lineman from Euless Trinity High School, has accepted a scholarship offer from the Utes and plans to sign a letter of intent on Wednesday.
"I'm more than excited," said Lutui, who graduates in May and plans to enroll at Utah in June.
Lutui committed to UCLA before the season began, but de-committed a couple of weeks ago. He then narrowed his options to Utah, USC and BYU before ultimately deciding between the Utes and Trojans.
Lutui said Utah assistants Morgan Scalley and Kalani Sitake made quite an impression early in the recruiting process, as did a visit by head coach Kyle Whittingham.
"It wasn't like one of those schools that come and recruit you here and there, then they lose you for a while and then come back at the end — which happened to me with a couple of colleges," Lutui said. "Utah has always been there. I love, love the coaching staff."
The first-team Class 5A all-state honoree was recently named to the MaxPreps U.S. Air Force All-American Football team.
- Jabari Parker posts photo of himself with LDS...
- BYU's Hill plans to return for senior season
- For his brothers: American Fork family with 4...
- Freshman Jake Toolson leads Cougars past...
- Dick Harmon: Hard-hitting safety Craig Bills...
- Felt's Facts, championship edition: Breaking...
- Former BYU star Russell Larson enjoys...
- Dante's shadow: Breaking down Dante Exum's game
- Dick Harmon: Outwardly lobbying Big 12... 131
- BYU's Hill plans to return for senior... 72
- Dick Harmon: Every player on BYU's... 71
- Runnin' Utes lose defensive battle at... 68
- Utah Utes football: No. 23 Utes defeat... 52
- BYU to welcome FCS team Savannah State... 39
- BYU gets bowl-eligible with 42-23 win... 25
- Utes still have outside chance at... 25