Utah lands big lineman recruit out of Texas
Lutui picks Utes over USC, BYU and others; will sign Wednesday
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah football picked up a big commitment from Texas on Monday. Hiva Lutui, a 6-foot-2, 285-pound offensive lineman from Euless Trinity High School, has accepted a scholarship offer from the Utes and plans to sign a letter of intent on Wednesday.
"I'm more than excited," said Lutui, who graduates in May and plans to enroll at Utah in June.
Lutui committed to UCLA before the season began, but de-committed a couple of weeks ago. He then narrowed his options to Utah, USC and BYU before ultimately deciding between the Utes and Trojans.
Lutui said Utah assistants Morgan Scalley and Kalani Sitake made quite an impression early in the recruiting process, as did a visit by head coach Kyle Whittingham.
"It wasn't like one of those schools that come and recruit you here and there, then they lose you for a while and then come back at the end — which happened to me with a couple of colleges," Lutui said. "Utah has always been there. I love, love the coaching staff."
The first-team Class 5A all-state honoree was recently named to the MaxPreps U.S. Air Force All-American Football team.
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's quarterback,...
- Utah high school boys basketball previews:...
- BYU's Rose adjusts lineup — freshman...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- How did they fare? Locals in the NFL roundup...
- Rock On: A bad day gets worse for Whittingham
- Davis High named top girls soccer team in the...
- Doug Robinson: It's the same old sad story of...
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 128
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 55
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 47
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 45
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 39
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Live updates: No. 13 Utah takes on UCLA... 35