"I will ask Congress to stay in session" in the meantime, he says, so that legislation is ready for his signature on Inauguration Day that repeals the health care bill that stands as Obama's top domestic accomplishment, wipes out the so-called "Dodd-Frank" legislation that imposed new regulations on Wall Street and scraps a 2002 measure that toughened accounting rules.
Gingrich doesn't say so, but more than Republican majorities would be needed to accomplish this. Senate Democrats would surely filibuster to block the measures, raising questions about the fate of the repeal efforts.
Suggesting he has the day timed to the minute, Gingrich adds that "about two hours after the inaugural address" he will sign an executive order that eliminates all the czars Obama appointed.
Often, he promises to issue between 100 and 200 executive orders before the day ends.
In an aside meant to appeal to tea party sticklers for openness in government, the orders are to be posted online well in advance of the November election "so everyone in America will know what is coming."
In a gesture to participatory democracy, Gingrich invites suggestions on what orders can be issued.
With polls showing Republicans most want a candidate who can defeat Obama, Gingrich splices in a few barbs at the president, and some at Romney.
"With all due respect to Gov. Romney, there is an enormous difference of both how to move the nation and how to actually get things done in Washington," Gingrich said at The Villages. "This is a very hard complicated business. We've had three years of an amateur and we've understood it doesn't work very well.'
- California orders churches, others to pay for...
- Two Christian ministers refuse to perform...
- 2 dead in shooting attack at Canada's Parliament
- US: IS earns $1M per day in black market oil...
- Chairman of Becket Fund for Religious Liberty...
- Inspector: 'Serious lapse' at Secret Service
- #ThrowbackThursday: Why do we love the '90s?
- Threat to break isolation in Liberia over food
- Two Christian ministers refuse to... 114
- Wyoming prepares to legalize same-sex... 22
- California orders churches, others to... 21
- On campaign trail, Obama says GOP is... 18
- Expelled Nazis got millions in Social... 10
- At rallies, Obama casts 2014 as key for... 8
- This type of high school can increase... 8
- Kerry: 'Irresponsible' not to aid Kurds... 7