One such person is Samantha, an active, temple-married mother of two who has lived with same sex attraction since her early teens. In her podcast interview, she talks about what it was like coming of age while feeling same sex attraction, and how family and ward members can help lift the burden of someone who is wrestling with these issues.
"The church is not hostile toward people with same gender attraction," Densley said. "It simply teaches that sexual relations should only be shared between a man and woman who are married to each other. This law of chastity applies to homosexual and heterosexual people alike. Single members of the church are expected to abstain from sex regardless of their sexual orientation. And married people are expected to remain faithful to their spouses, even if they feel strong temptations toward people to whom they are not married.
"The mere fact that we are tempted," Densley adds, "does not mean that we have no choice but to submit."
Additional installments of the FAIR Examination series on homosexuality among Latter-day Saints will focus on the others who have been able to reconcile their faith with their sexual orientation, as well as the varying perspective of parents with children who are involved in homosexual relationships, wives whose spouses struggle with same sex attraction and therapists who work with clients who deal with SSA feelings.
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Ask Angela: I'm 24 and I think I'm headed to...
- LDS Church enhances web pages on its history,...
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach the...
- One year since Sandy Hook: 'Evil did not win'...
- Pres. Monson teaches Christmas is the time to...
- Amish school shooter's kin: Horror, then healing
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- Many Mormon missionaries who return... 108
- Ask Angela: I'm 24 and I think I'm... 64
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach... 22
- Space and religion: How believers view... 20
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and... 13
- One year since Sandy Hook: 'Evil did... 9
- Tips for LDS bloggers from the... 8
- Pres. Monson teaches Christmas is the... 8