Gary Crowton accepts offensive coordinator job with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
Former BYU coach Gary Crowton is moving from the college ranks to the Canadian Football League.
The Winnipeg Blue Bombers announced that Crowton will serve as their new offensive coordinator. The 54-year-old Crowton spent last season as Maryland's offensive coordinator and was reportedly a candidate for Utah's offensive coordinator position.
In four seasons (2001-2004) as BYU's head coach, Crowton posted a 26-23 record, including a 12-2 mark in his first season. He resigned after three consecutive losing seasons.
Before taking the BYU job, Crowton was the Chicago Bears' offensive coordinator in 1999 and 2000. Since leaving BYU, he's made stops at Oregon, Louisiana State, and Maryland.
"I am extremely excited to have Gary join the Blue Bombers coaching staff," Winnipeg coach Paul LaPolice in a statement. "Having known each other since my coaching days at the University of New Hampshire, I was always impressed with him as a person and especially as an offensive coordinator. His experiences in the spread offense are very similar to the type of offenses that are prevalent in the CFL. He will be a great teacher for our players and his expertise at the NCAA level will be especially valuable for our younger roster."
Crowton replaces Jamie Barresi, who was fired following the Blue Bombers' Grey Cup appearance in November. Winnipeg's offense was one of the worst in the CFL last season.
- Jabari Parker posts photo of himself with LDS...
- BYU's Hill plans to return for senior season
- For his brothers: American Fork family with 4...
- Freshman Jake Toolson leads Cougars past...
- Dick Harmon: Hard-hitting safety Craig Bills...
- Felt's Facts, championship edition: Breaking...
- Former BYU star Russell Larson enjoys...
- Dante's shadow: Breaking down Dante Exum's game
- Dick Harmon: Outwardly lobbying Big 12... 131
- BYU's Hill plans to return for senior... 72
- Dick Harmon: Every player on BYU's... 71
- Runnin' Utes lose defensive battle at... 68
- Utah Utes football: No. 23 Utes defeat... 52
- BYU to welcome FCS team Savannah State... 39
- BYU gets bowl-eligible with 42-23 win... 25
- Utes still have outside chance at... 25