Utah Utes football: Utes to name offensive coordinator this week, replace Norm Chow
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah's search for an offensive coordinator to replace Norm Chow is nearing completion and an official announcement is expected soon.
"We'll have one in place this week," Utah coach Kyle Whittingham said while declining to discuss any specifics.
The Utes have been without an offensive coordinator since Chow left his alma mater to become the head coach at Hawaii following Utah's 30-27 overtime win over Georgia Tech in the Sun Bowl on Dec. 31.
Earlier this month, Whittingham said there was no definitive timetable to name a new offensive coordinator and that "we're just going through the process of interviewing candidates."
When a hire is made, he added, word will come through an official announcement from the university.
Whittingham noted that the announcement won't necessarily come on or after National Signing Day on Wednesday.
Chow joined Whittingham's staff in January of 2011 following three years as UCLA's offensive coordinator. Upon Chow's hiring, co-coordinators Aaron Roderick and Dave Schramm were reassigned to other positions. Roderick served as Utah's receivers coach last season, while Schramm coached the running backs.
On Jan. 4, Schramm was named offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Fresno State.
Since becoming Utah's head coach, Whittingham's offensive coordinators have included Andy Ludwig (2005-08), Schramm (2009), Schramm and Roderick (2010) and Chow.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Twitter: @DirkFacer
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 55
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48