Utah Utes football: Utes to name offensive coordinator this week, replace Norm Chow
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah's search for an offensive coordinator to replace Norm Chow is nearing completion and an official announcement is expected soon.
"We'll have one in place this week," Utah coach Kyle Whittingham said while declining to discuss any specifics.
The Utes have been without an offensive coordinator since Chow left his alma mater to become the head coach at Hawaii following Utah's 30-27 overtime win over Georgia Tech in the Sun Bowl on Dec. 31.
Earlier this month, Whittingham said there was no definitive timetable to name a new offensive coordinator and that "we're just going through the process of interviewing candidates."
When a hire is made, he added, word will come through an official announcement from the university.
Whittingham noted that the announcement won't necessarily come on or after National Signing Day on Wednesday.
Chow joined Whittingham's staff in January of 2011 following three years as UCLA's offensive coordinator. Upon Chow's hiring, co-coordinators Aaron Roderick and Dave Schramm were reassigned to other positions. Roderick served as Utah's receivers coach last season, while Schramm coached the running backs.
On Jan. 4, Schramm was named offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Fresno State.
Since becoming Utah's head coach, Whittingham's offensive coordinators have included Andy Ludwig (2005-08), Schramm (2009), Schramm and Roderick (2010) and Chow.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Twitter: @DirkFacer
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- No. 21 BYU faces opportunistic, upset-minded...
- Dick Harmon: Fredette family discusses...
- College football: Utes wrap up...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- High school football: Royals rock Grizzlies...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 72
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 65
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33