Utah Utes football: Utes to name offensive coordinator this week, replace Norm Chow
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah's search for an offensive coordinator to replace Norm Chow is nearing completion and an official announcement is expected soon.
"We'll have one in place this week," Utah coach Kyle Whittingham said while declining to discuss any specifics.
The Utes have been without an offensive coordinator since Chow left his alma mater to become the head coach at Hawaii following Utah's 30-27 overtime win over Georgia Tech in the Sun Bowl on Dec. 31.
Earlier this month, Whittingham said there was no definitive timetable to name a new offensive coordinator and that "we're just going through the process of interviewing candidates."
When a hire is made, he added, word will come through an official announcement from the university.
Whittingham noted that the announcement won't necessarily come on or after National Signing Day on Wednesday.
Chow joined Whittingham's staff in January of 2011 following three years as UCLA's offensive coordinator. Upon Chow's hiring, co-coordinators Aaron Roderick and Dave Schramm were reassigned to other positions. Roderick served as Utah's receivers coach last season, while Schramm coached the running backs.
On Jan. 4, Schramm was named offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Fresno State.
Since becoming Utah's head coach, Whittingham's offensive coordinators have included Andy Ludwig (2005-08), Schramm (2009), Schramm and Roderick (2010) and Chow.
Email: email@example.com. Twitter: @DirkFacer
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- Red and blue recruits: Inside Britain Covey's...
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit after ACC...
- Lone Peak guard, former BYU commit Jackson,...
- Doug Robinson: What might have been for the...
- Faith and family are driving forces for LDS...
- BYU basketball: Cougars shake up starting...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 74
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 61
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35