WEST VALLEY CITY — The Utah Grizzlies defeated the Idaho Steelheads 2-1 in a shootout Saturday night in front of a season-high crowd of 9,225 at Maverik Center.
Nearly $11,000 was raised in the Guns N Hoses post-game specialty jersey auction with proceeds going to the family of fallen Ogden Police Officer Jared Francom and Shriners Hospital.
The game was tied for 64:03 of the 65 minutes through overtime until the shootout. Utah goaltender Andrew Engelage stopped 34 of 35 Idaho shots and all five Steelheads attempts in the shootout. Idaho goalie Jerry Kuhn stopped 43 of 44 Utah shots through overtime. Utah's Mitch Wahl was the only player to score in the shootout as he gave Utah a 1-0 lead in the top of round two.
"We have to work for our bounces and their goalie played exceptional," said Grizzlies Head Coach Kevin Colley. "We'll take two points any way we can get them. Our goaltending played outstanding tonight too it's good to see. He (Engelage) was hungry in the net and was seeing the puck."
Wahl gave Utah a 1-0 lead 9:04 into the first period on a setup from Paul McIlvven. The score was Wahl's seventh goal in eight games with Utah.
"I think it bounced off the ref there, we got a lucky bounce and it gave me an opportunity to feed Wahl in the slot and he went up top with it so we can't complain about that," McIlveen said.
Idaho tied the game just 57 seconds later off of a rebound in transition.
Utah is back home with the Steelheads Monday at 7 p.m. for family night. Kids under 12 enter free and there will be $1 Sodas and $1 Hot Dogs. Up to two free kids per paying adult.
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 55
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48