Utah Jazz: Jimmer Fredette has heroic opportunity, but Jazz win
"I loved it. It was a great atmosphere," Jazz point guard and UCLA alum Earl Watson said. "It was like college. I thought I had on a Utah Utes jersey. It was like Utes vs. BYU. I was like, man, I'm back in college. I want a per diem check."
Corbin inserted Watson back into the game for defensive purposes after Devin Harris made one of two free throws to give the Jazz a two-point lead in the final 15 seconds.
His assignment: Jimmer.
Fredette ran through some screens and shook off Watson momentarily, but the 10-year veteran lunged toward the 2011 NCAA player of the year and long-ball expert who stumbled a bit as he retreated behind the 3-point line by the Jazz bench.
"It wasn't a clean shot," Watson said. "I had a chance to contest it pretty well and he just shot the ball over the rim, and that was pretty much it. Gutsy shot, though."
Fredette didn't complain about slight contact by the Jazz defender.
"I caught it, shot it, possibly contact, maybe not," Fredette said. "But the ball didn't go in and that's what happens. It was a tough loss for us."
For what it's worth, the Cougar legend was encouraged that the 6-14 Kings "played really well" in a sorta hostile environment. He was happy that it was only sorta hostile, too.
"It was funny because normally I'm sure they're not used to hearing cheers when someone from the other team scores," Fredette said. "It was great to hear, obviously great support here and I really appreciate all the fans who came out to support myself, but also the Kings. It was a great atmosphere."
Next Utah showing: March 30.
- Morning links: BYU signee shot in arm;...
- The 1995 NBA draft redone: Was Greg Ostertag...
- Top in-state basketball prospects receiving...
- Exum, Hood, Cooley shine for Jazz in Summer...
- BYU football recruit Charles West shot in arm...
- Utah Jazz: Brazilian point guard Raul Neto...
- Jazz fan favorite Jeremy Evans' era in Utah...
- Hoffman, Collie or Doughty: Which local...
- Morning links: BYU signee shot in arm;... 40
- Doug Robinson: When money speaks louder... 37
- Dick Harmon: A more confident Robert... 30
- BYU Cougars finish year with five... 28
- Utah football player Dominique Hatfield... 27
- Hatfield suspended from U. football... 23
- Utah Utes enjoy banner year as seven... 20
- Utah Jazz: Brazilian point guard Raul... 16