Utah Jazz: Jimmer Fredette has heroic opportunity, but Jazz win
"I loved it. It was a great atmosphere," Jazz point guard and UCLA alum Earl Watson said. "It was like college. I thought I had on a Utah Utes jersey. It was like Utes vs. BYU. I was like, man, I'm back in college. I want a per diem check."
Corbin inserted Watson back into the game for defensive purposes after Devin Harris made one of two free throws to give the Jazz a two-point lead in the final 15 seconds.
His assignment: Jimmer.
Fredette ran through some screens and shook off Watson momentarily, but the 10-year veteran lunged toward the 2011 NCAA player of the year and long-ball expert who stumbled a bit as he retreated behind the 3-point line by the Jazz bench.
"It wasn't a clean shot," Watson said. "I had a chance to contest it pretty well and he just shot the ball over the rim, and that was pretty much it. Gutsy shot, though."
Fredette didn't complain about slight contact by the Jazz defender.
"I caught it, shot it, possibly contact, maybe not," Fredette said. "But the ball didn't go in and that's what happens. It was a tough loss for us."
For what it's worth, the Cougar legend was encouraged that the 6-14 Kings "played really well" in a sorta hostile environment. He was happy that it was only sorta hostile, too.
"It was funny because normally I'm sure they're not used to hearing cheers when someone from the other team scores," Fredette said. "It was great to hear, obviously great support here and I really appreciate all the fans who came out to support myself, but also the Kings. It was a great atmosphere."
Next Utah showing: March 30.
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- Looking back: Ray Harroun wins 1st...
- Westbrook, Thunder put Warriors on brink of...
- 'Lost my way': Murray pushed to 5 sets again...
- USMNT: RSL's Beckerman starts, Timbers' Nagbe...
- Ex-MLB hurler winds up for Vermont governor...
- Coach Steve Kerr: Warriors on brink but ready...
- San Jose Sharks head to 1st Cup final after...
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 69
- Brad Rock: BYU-Utah hoops are back... 51
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 49
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 37
- Why can't we be friends? BYU-Utah fans... 34
- Pac-12 champs: Utah wins baseball title... 23
- Rose excited for near future stability,... 22
- Column: Baylor should pull plug on its... 19