LDS Motion Picture Studio
NOTE: This article updates the Deseret News story "iPhone apps redefine religious worship" published Nov. 30 that highlighted smartphone technologies pertaining to Jewish, Catholic and LDS faiths.
SALT LAKE CITY — "Johnny Lingo," the 1969 short film that remains an iconic symbol of Mormon culture as much for its endearing off-beat story as its enduring message, is one of the 720 videos users can download onto their iPhone via a new version of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints' Gospel Library application.
Previously available for online streaming at the LDS Church's Mormon Channel website, "Johnny Lingo" is a 24-minute film set on an unnamed Pacific isle at a time when the acceptable currency for dowries is heads of cattle. Per the Mormon Channel's synopsis, the title character "bargains for a bride, paying an exorbitant amount and causing a sensation on the island. Being an expert trader, he knows the value of things — especially self esteem."
Downloading video content is significant because it allows for subsequent viewing without any Internet or data connection. Conversely, online streaming of videos requires constant high-speed Internet or data access and can be prone to interruptions or delays.
The video-download capability for Gospel Library is available with the app's 2.4.1 version for iPhones and iPads that posted in December. Other platforms of the Gospel Library app, such as the one supported by the Kindle Fire, do not yet boast this capability.
The categorical breakdown of the 720 videos available on the Gospel Library app is as follows: General Conference, 152; leadership training library, 78; Bible videos, 6; Mormon Messages, 6; Mormon Messages for youth, 9; supplemental materials for seminaries and institutes, 467; and feature films, 2.
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say...
- Deputy's suicide prompted Tooele school...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on state...
- Families face uncertainty, unite in prayer as...
- Cottonwood Heights mayor, residents unhappy...
- Roof, tower for Provo City Center Temple add...
- Utah too dependent on federal dollars, state...
- Gov. Gary Herbert unveils $13.3 billion budget
- Should parents pay extra for... 46
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 27
- Utah A.G. John Swallow: 'No way to... 25
- Candidates seeking to replace Swallow... 19
- 'Little Bulldog' will take a break; the... 18
- Utah judge could be first to rule on... 16
- In our opinion: Pioneer Park progress... 15
- About Utah: His business is fun, games... 15