The BYU mens volleyball team is flying high off to a fast start and a No. 1 national ranking. Flying highest is sophomore outside hitter Taylor Sander, who leads the team in total kills.
Q: How did you get to BYU?
A: Growing up in Huntington Beach (Calif.) I've always been a big BYU fan. I grew up LDS and with my parents being LDS, that was the school we always cheered for and I've always wanted to go to BYU since I was a kid.
Q: What is your vertical leap?
A: I think during the games it's a lot higher — I've been measured at jumping as high as 42 or 43 inches. When I'm playing in the Smith Fieldhouse I think that adds two or three inches to my vertical with how pumped up I get with the crowd.
Q: What is new coach Chris McGown like?
A: I'm very thankful to have Coach McGown here — we all are. He's a coach who really understands us and knows where we're at as a team. He's been around great coaches his whole life and he's always working hard at becoming a better coach. He has an amazing work ethic and it's something that is really going to help us this season — knowing how dedicated he is.
Q: What are your goals for this year?
A: The team goal at BYU is to always win a national championship. Our big goals as a team are to stick together and work hard and stick to the principles we've set — all of that will help us be successful. For me, I just want to be a leader and make sure that I give my best effort in every practice and in every game.
Q: What is the best thing about being at BYU?
A: Everyone is real mature here and goal-oriented. There aren't the distractions (at BYU) to distract you from reaching your goals and being the best person you can be. I love that we can represent the church here and that we live by the standards of the church. It's an amazing environment.
- BYU football: Cougars to play Washington in...
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes coming...
- Toddler basketball star, 'Trick-Shot-Titus,'...
- Utah State football: Aggies will take on No....
- Utah State football: Aggie defense plays...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz continue slide with overtime...
- Former Cougar Dennis Pitta scores first...
- BYU basketball report card: Cougars give...
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 61
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 51
- BYU basketball: 3 players record... 47
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 37
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 34
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 29
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 27
- BYU basketball: Breaking down UMass,... 27