The BYU mens volleyball team is flying high off to a fast start and a No. 1 national ranking. Flying highest is sophomore outside hitter Taylor Sander, who leads the team in total kills.
Q: How did you get to BYU?
A: Growing up in Huntington Beach (Calif.) I've always been a big BYU fan. I grew up LDS and with my parents being LDS, that was the school we always cheered for and I've always wanted to go to BYU since I was a kid.
Q: What is your vertical leap?
A: I think during the games it's a lot higher — I've been measured at jumping as high as 42 or 43 inches. When I'm playing in the Smith Fieldhouse I think that adds two or three inches to my vertical with how pumped up I get with the crowd.
Q: What is new coach Chris McGown like?
A: I'm very thankful to have Coach McGown here — we all are. He's a coach who really understands us and knows where we're at as a team. He's been around great coaches his whole life and he's always working hard at becoming a better coach. He has an amazing work ethic and it's something that is really going to help us this season — knowing how dedicated he is.
Q: What are your goals for this year?
A: The team goal at BYU is to always win a national championship. Our big goals as a team are to stick together and work hard and stick to the principles we've set — all of that will help us be successful. For me, I just want to be a leader and make sure that I give my best effort in every practice and in every game.
Q: What is the best thing about being at BYU?
A: Everyone is real mature here and goal-oriented. There aren't the distractions (at BYU) to distract you from reaching your goals and being the best person you can be. I love that we can represent the church here and that we live by the standards of the church. It's an amazing environment.
- Video: Improbable final play lifts Maple...
- Royals Pitcher Jeremy Guthrie expresses...
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Kansas City Royals turn to former BYU pitcher...
- Live streams: 2A & 3A volleyball tournament...
- Curtain raiser: Quin Snyder Era begins in...
- Poppinga has endured dark times before, hopes...
- Keeping it rolling: Utes top Trojans in... 87
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 77
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense needs Bronco... 58
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 57
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- High school football: State tournament... 41
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 41
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32