High school girls basketball: Senior leadership putting Hillcrest on the right path
MIDVALE — Some squads might not celebrate a win over a team with just one region win.
But for the Hillcrest Huskies, their 55-49 victory over Herriman is just a step on a path they believe will take them to their first state tournament berth in years.
The Huskies have already won more games this season than they did in the last two seasons combined. That's due, in large part, to the hard work and leadership of the team's seniors.
"This feels great," said senior Ashley Jewell, who scored seven points.
Senior Whitney Lott, who scored eight points, added, "It's been a long time coming."
Friday's win was a thriller, with sophomore Robyn Oliphant coming up big for the Huskies. She scored 12 points and grabbed 10 rebounds against a physical Herriman squad.
The teams stayed within a few points of each other most of the game, but the Hillcrest seniors said they were confident they would come through.
"I think we knew we'd end up with the win, but that was a tough game," said Lott. "We had to work hard the whole time."
Lott said they expected a tough contest.
"We knew they'd put pressure on the ball and we knew they were a hard working team," she said.
Despite the joy of winning a game that keeps them in the playoff hunt, neither coach nor players were celebrating too much.
"It's a good win," said Huskies head coach Dave Richardson. "It's not anywhere we want to be yet, but we pulled out a good game tonight."
Winning a close game against a tough team will only make the Huskies more confident going forward.
"It's got to," said Richardson. "To win close games definitely helps a team."
- Ranking the 26 Utah ties selected in the NFL...
- Free agent roundup: Where locals signed after...
- Linehan's leg helps propel BYU past Cal for...
- Doug Robinson: The era (and myth) of the...
- High school track: Orem boys, Millard girls...
- Floyd Mayweather wins decision over Manny...
- 20 years later, 'blessed' Herring believes he...
- Ranking the 33 Utah ties selected in the NFL...
- Brad Rock: Utah-BYU rivalry will... 165
- BYU announces 2015 football schedule,... 81
- 20 years later, 'blessed' Herring... 53
- Dick Harmon: BYU's 2015 September... 44
- BYU hires Lone Peak's Quincy Lewis as... 38
- Linehan's leg helps propel BYU past Cal... 35
- Free agent roundup: Where locals signed... 33
- BYU's 2015 bowl destination could be... 32