Commissioner Bud Selig expects baseball to expand its playoffs this season.
Players and owners have already agreed to add an additional wild-card team in each league, but are still deciding whether it would take effect this year or in 2013. Selig said there are scheduling issues to be worked out — once they are, the new 10-team format would begin with a one-game playoff.
"I really believe we'll have the wild card for 2012, this year," Selig said Friday night in Chicago at a White Sox fan festival. "Clubs really want it. I don't think I've ever seen an issue that the clubs want more than to have the extra wild card this year."
"We're working on dates right now. That'll all take place. It looks to me like we'll have it because I've told everybody we have to have it. It'll be exciting. One-game playoff, it will start the playoffs in a very exciting manner," he said.
A little more than two months before opening day, Major League Baseball hoped to put an end to uncertainty.
POTENTIAL DODGERS OWNERS MAKE CUT: Hedge fund head Steven Cohen and groups including Joe Torre and Magic Johnson have survived the first round of cuts in bidding for the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Initial bids were submitted Monday to the financial firm handling the sale by Frank McCourt, and people affiliated with groups said Friday they were notified they will be advancing in the process. The people spoke on condition of anonymity because no public statements were authorized.
Those three groups surviving the cut were first reported by the Los Angeles Times on its Web site. It was unclear whether more groups also advanced to the next stage.
PHILLIES SIGN PENCE: Right fielder Hunter Pence has agreed to a $10.4 million, one-year contract with the Phillies.
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve...
- Friday night lights central, playoffs...
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- Langi making an impact at linebacker for BYU
- Live streams: 1A volleyball tournament...
- Middle Tennessee excited about home game...
- Utah Jazz get blown out by Dallas 120-102
- Ranking the starting centers in the NBA from...
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 60
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 56
- High school football: State tournament... 55
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve... 51
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the... 34
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32