Commissioner Bud Selig expects baseball to expand its playoffs this season.
Players and owners have already agreed to add an additional wild-card team in each league, but are still deciding whether it would take effect this year or in 2013. Selig said there are scheduling issues to be worked out — once they are, the new 10-team format would begin with a one-game playoff.
"I really believe we'll have the wild card for 2012, this year," Selig said Friday night in Chicago at a White Sox fan festival. "Clubs really want it. I don't think I've ever seen an issue that the clubs want more than to have the extra wild card this year."
"We're working on dates right now. That'll all take place. It looks to me like we'll have it because I've told everybody we have to have it. It'll be exciting. One-game playoff, it will start the playoffs in a very exciting manner," he said.
A little more than two months before opening day, Major League Baseball hoped to put an end to uncertainty.
POTENTIAL DODGERS OWNERS MAKE CUT: Hedge fund head Steven Cohen and groups including Joe Torre and Magic Johnson have survived the first round of cuts in bidding for the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Initial bids were submitted Monday to the financial firm handling the sale by Frank McCourt, and people affiliated with groups said Friday they were notified they will be advancing in the process. The people spoke on condition of anonymity because no public statements were authorized.
Those three groups surviving the cut were first reported by the Los Angeles Times on its Web site. It was unclear whether more groups also advanced to the next stage.
PHILLIES SIGN PENCE: Right fielder Hunter Pence has agreed to a $10.4 million, one-year contract with the Phillies.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 24
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22