Most people don't think that a battered woman is fodder for punch-line material.
But most people aren't Bill Maher.
The comedian — and we use that term loosely — stooped to a new low on "AC360" recently when he expressed his opinion that Mitt Romney would get the Republican presidential nomination, "and then I think (President Barack) Obama is going to beat him like a runaway sister wife."
One assumes Maher's thought process flowed something like this: Romney = Mormon = polygamy = dirty old man and young sister wives = sister wife running away and being abused for it = funny.
Or something like that.
Never mind that the abuse of women and children in contemporary polygamy is a real and serious problem. Forget that Romney's faith, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, abandoned the practice of polygamy 120 years ago. Never let the truth get in the way of a good joke.
Or a bad joke, as the case may be.
Program host Anderson Cooper was obviously flustered by Maher's reference. But rather than challenge the comment, he smiled weakly and noted that he hadn't heard "a FLDS (Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints) punch line in quite a while."
Well, at least Cooper got the FLDS part right.
"Maher is know for being a provocateur, which he seems to think gives him an unlimited supply of mulligans," wrote Tommy Christopher on the Mediaite blog site. "But this is just the latest in a string of over-the-line remarks, many of them having to do with women. This one is particularly scummy, and like so many of his misfires, devoid of even dark humor."
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Sandy mailman's plea for books gets worldwide...
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting program...
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living...
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of Mormon'...
- Utah natives receive rave reviews, make 'So...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 289
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 127
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 101
- Mike Lee plotting tricky maneuver to... 88
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 73
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 65
- Does secret southern Utah meeting mean... 53
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 45