"The Purple Rose of Cairo" (1985). The surprise plot twist that happens early in Woody Allen's period fantasy was unknown to the audience that viewed it for the first time and its revelation was a truly magical experience. (A few months later, as it was preparing to open its commercial run, the trailers gave it all away.)
"On Valentine's Day" (1985), a low-key look at an elopement that results in parental estrangement in a small Texas town, circa 1917 (written by the great Horton Foote).
"The Trip to Bountiful" (1985), Horton Foote's beautiful story of an aging woman (Oscar-winner Geraldine Page) in conflict with her married children when she decides to board a bus for her hometown. (Produced by local filmmaker Sterling Van Wagenen.)
"Sherman's March" (1986), a hilarious documentary that starts out as a retracing of the title Civil War campaign but turns into a personal diary of filmmaker Ross McElwee's hapless love life (including a date with a Mormon girl).
"84 Charing Cross Road" (1987), the lovely true story of a New York book lover (Anne Bancroft) and the London bookseller (Anthony Hopkins) with whom she corresponds over two decades.
"Raise the Red Lantern" (1992), Zhang Yimou's gorgeous, meticulously detailed look at the hazards of polygamy in 1920s northern China, starring Gong Li.
"The Secret of Roan Inish" (1994), John Sayles' enchanting fantasy about a 10-year-old girl in an Irish coastal village who encounters a fanciful half-human, half-aquatic selkie.
"Frank and Ollie" (1995), a highly entertaining documentary about the artists responsible for the animated classics created during Disney's most fruitful years, the 1930s through the 1950s, built around stories told by Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston.
These are just a handful, of course, but any and all ensure a satisfying moviewatching experience if you want a mini-Sundance festival in your own TV room.
- Doug Robinson: Why this mother of four is my...
- Tired, lackluster 'Ice Age' 5 would be better...
- Motherhood Matters: Love loans
- UTubers: Coldplay cover by One Voice...
- The Clean Cut: LDS 3-year-old sings her dad a...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: I know what it's...
- Erin Stewart: Should you teach your kids to...
- Area museums help visitors ‘slow down,...
- Erin Stewart: Should you teach your... 15
- Doug Robinson: Why this mother of four... 5
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: I know what... 3
- The tiny town that set out to be Utah's... 2
- After 8 years with no 'true increase'... 2
- First-timers and veterans among... 2
- Wright Words: What I learned from... 2
- Bountiful Handcart Days Parade brings... 1