"The Purple Rose of Cairo" (1985). The surprise plot twist that happens early in Woody Allen's period fantasy was unknown to the audience that viewed it for the first time and its revelation was a truly magical experience. (A few months later, as it was preparing to open its commercial run, the trailers gave it all away.)
"On Valentine's Day" (1985), a low-key look at an elopement that results in parental estrangement in a small Texas town, circa 1917 (written by the great Horton Foote).
"The Trip to Bountiful" (1985), Horton Foote's beautiful story of an aging woman (Oscar-winner Geraldine Page) in conflict with her married children when she decides to board a bus for her hometown. (Produced by local filmmaker Sterling Van Wagenen.)
"Sherman's March" (1986), a hilarious documentary that starts out as a retracing of the title Civil War campaign but turns into a personal diary of filmmaker Ross McElwee's hapless love life (including a date with a Mormon girl).
"84 Charing Cross Road" (1987), the lovely true story of a New York book lover (Anne Bancroft) and the London bookseller (Anthony Hopkins) with whom she corresponds over two decades.
"Raise the Red Lantern" (1992), Zhang Yimou's gorgeous, meticulously detailed look at the hazards of polygamy in 1920s northern China, starring Gong Li.
"The Secret of Roan Inish" (1994), John Sayles' enchanting fantasy about a 10-year-old girl in an Irish coastal village who encounters a fanciful half-human, half-aquatic selkie.
"Frank and Ollie" (1995), a highly entertaining documentary about the artists responsible for the animated classics created during Disney's most fruitful years, the 1930s through the 1950s, built around stories told by Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston.
These are just a handful, of course, but any and all ensure a satisfying moviewatching experience if you want a mini-Sundance festival in your own TV room.
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing you...
- A mother's voice: Remembering Emilie a year...
- Utah husband wins 'Most Memorable Moment'...
- Utah mom inspires braid for Prim in 'Hunger...
- One year since Sandy Hook: 'Evil did not win'...
- Blogger Stephanie Nielson says family was her...
- Our marriage has eroded, and I'm glad it has
- Wright Words: Christmas Jars tradition...
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and... 14
- One year since Sandy Hook: 'Evil did... 10
- 'Sound of Music' hit a high note for... 9
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing... 6
- Toddler basketball star,... 5
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: What if negative... 4
- A mother's voice: Remembering Emilie a... 4
- 454 people sworn in as U.S. citizens at... 3