Charles Dharapak, Associated Press
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — Mitt and Ann Romney failed to list investment income from a Swiss bank account on financial disclosure forms filed last year. Other income was missing from the disclosure documents required of presidential candidates.
A Romney spokeswoman said Thursday the adjustments would be trivial and would not alter the overall picture of the Romneys' finances. The former Massachusetts governor has estimated his wealth at as much as $250 million.
The Swiss account was held in Ann Romney's blind trust. The tax returns show the Romneys made $1,783 in interest income from that account in 2010.
Romney's campaign said it was updating 2011 financial disclosure forms after the Romneys' 2010 tax return, released this week after intense pressure from his rivals, showed income from the Swiss account. Romney reported earning nearly $22 million that year, mainly from investments, and paid about $3 million in federal taxes.
Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich had hammered Romney to release his tax returns while Republican voters were still choosing a nominee. Romney initially said he would release them in April, during tax filing season, but then gave in to demands that he make the tax returns public much earlier.
The missing income could become a campaign issue as Gingrich looks to criticize Romney ahead of Florida's Jan. 31 primary. Gingrich on Thursday called Romney's campaign desperate in the wake of attacks from the former Massachusetts governor and his supporters over Gingrich's fees for consulting for the quasi-government mortgage giant Freddie Mac.
- International tax competitiveness report: See...
- Jailed, some mentally ill inmates land in...
- Islamic State group calls for attacking...
- 'The Lion King' earns record box office
- Prosecutor: 800 rounds found in White House...
- Why a parent going to prison can be worse...
- 11 best—and worst—state tax systems
- Apple sells more than 10 million iPhones in...
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Security breached: Intruder gets into... 9
- Thousands march in NYC, around globe... 9
- Jailed, some mentally ill inmates land... 9
- How much America wants to be taxed 9
- Iranian youth behind 'Happy' video... 8
- Islamic State group calls for attacking... 7
- It's not just young people —... 7