ASPEN, Colo. — Shaun White insists he knew what he was getting into when he decided to get on the slopestyle course at the Winter X Games last year.
"I was like, ya know, if I go out there, I'm gonna get owned," he said.
White says that was all part of the plan. After taking two years off from slopestyle to focus on his Olympic halfpipe routine, the two-time Olympic champion wanted to see for himself just how much ground he had lost in slopestyle.
He finished 13th last year but says he learned a lot.
On Friday, he returns to the Winter X slopestyle course with different goals — and with an eye on 2014, when slopestyle joins halfpipe on the Olympic program in Sochi.
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- BYU-Memphis an 'intriguing' bowl matchup
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Gordon Hayward happy to be moving on with...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Cougars gain a lot over Final Four weekend...
- Sunday morning QB: Stars and stats from No....
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 63
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 55
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 35
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Brad Rock: This is where conference... 33
- Miami Beach Bowl live coverage: BYU vs.... 30
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28