ASPEN, Colo. — Shaun White insists he knew what he was getting into when he decided to get on the slopestyle course at the Winter X Games last year.
"I was like, ya know, if I go out there, I'm gonna get owned," he said.
White says that was all part of the plan. After taking two years off from slopestyle to focus on his Olympic halfpipe routine, the two-time Olympic champion wanted to see for himself just how much ground he had lost in slopestyle.
He finished 13th last year but says he learned a lot.
On Friday, he returns to the Winter X slopestyle course with different goals — and with an eye on 2014, when slopestyle joins halfpipe on the Olympic program in Sochi.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very little
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 45