LITTLE ROCK, Ark. — The parents and step-parent of two of three Arkansas boys who were brutally murdered nearly two decades ago say they're disappointed that the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has nominated a documentary about the killings for an Oscar.
Todd and Diana Moore had previously asked the Academy to exclude "Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory" from consideration because they said it glorifies the three men known as the West Memphis Three who were convicted in the boys' murders.
Last year, those men — Damien Echols, Jason Baldwin and Jessie Misskelley — were released from prison after they pleaded guilty to lesser charges while maintaining their claims of innocence.
The parents' comments came Tuesday when the Academy announced its nominations.
One of the filmmakers didn't respond to a request for comment.
- Poll: Two-thirds of US would struggle to...
- US home sales growth driven mostly by Midwest
- Pentagon: US airstrike targets Taliban leader...
- Top US commander makes secret visit to Syria
- DeRozan, Raptors end Cavaliers' streak with...
- 2 Indian climbers missing on Mount Everest...
- Clinton calls Trump's gun policies...
- Massive Navajo farm heads into week 2 with no...
- Anti-Trump protests turn violent... 45
- Clinton calls Trump's gun policies... 38
- Clinton faulted on emails by State... 36
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 30
- Delegates in hand, Trump says he's got... 28
- Obama: World leaders rightfully... 25
- Q&A: Is the 'math myth' holding back... 19
- If Hillary becomes president, will she... 19