Senate hits 1000th day without a budget while Obama preps for SOTU
"Democrats will say they have failed to pass a budget because of Republican 'obstruction' and the threat of a filibuster in the Senate," Sen. Mike Lee, R-Utah, said. "However, they know that budgets only require a simple majority to pass and are not subject to a filibuster. The truth is that they cannot publicly reveal what they would like to spend because the American people would reject it out-of-hand."
"Each showdown over continuing resolutions, looming government shutdowns, and temporarily funding the federal government has its roots in the Senate's failure to perform this basic task of governance," W. James Antle III writes at The American Spectator. "So when the president speaks about 'economic fairness' and criticizes, either implicitly or explicitly, the fiscal policy course charted by Paul Ryan in the House, it is worth noting that no detailed Democratic alternative exists."
Speaking to Human Events, Ryan said Democrats have realized that with an estimated $2 trillion in tax increases added to the $1.6 trillion new taxes from the health care overhaul and the expiration of the Bush tax cuts in 213, the middle class would have to see their taxes rise.
"There's no way you can simply tax the one percent to get this kind of money, so they would have to violate their promise not to raise taxes on middle-income earners," Ryan said. "Faced with the reality of having to show the country the enormous size of the tax increases required by their plan, they decided just not to budget in the first place and take that rap instead."
Ryan also criticized the president for delaying the release of his fiscal year 2013 budget. Under the law, the president's budget is to be released on the first Monday in February, but the administration's budget will be put out on February 13 rather than February 6, Politico reports.
- Poll: Two-thirds of US would struggle to...
- US home sales growth driven mostly by Midwest
- Pentagon: US airstrike targets Taliban leader...
- Top US commander makes secret visit to Syria
- Smoke, cockpit woes signal chaotic finale for...
- Exaggerator finally beats Nyquist, wins...
- DeRozan, Raptors end Cavaliers' streak with...
- 2 Indian climbers missing on Mount Everest...
- Anti-Trump protests turn violent... 45
- Clinton calls Trump's gun policies... 38
- Clinton faulted on emails by State... 36
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 26
- Obama: World leaders rightfully... 23
- Q&A: Is the 'math myth' holding back... 19
- If Hillary becomes president, will she... 19
- Trump reaches the magic number to... 18