Omar Vizquel and the Toronto Blue Jays agreed to terms on a one-year contract Monday.
Vizquel's agent, Adam Katz, declined to provide further details, such as whether Vizquel would be on a major league or minor league deal. ESPN first reported the sides had agreed to a contract.
Vizquel tweeted: "I'll be with the Toronto Blue Jays in spring training this year to earn a spot."
The veteran infielder, who turns 45 on April 24, would be headed into his 24th major league season if he makes the team. Vizquel has 11 Gold Gloves at shortstop and provided a positive clubhouse influence for the Chicago White Sox the past two seasons and a reliable option off the bench.
Vizquel appeared in 58 games last year, batting .251 with eight RBIs and seven doubles. He is a career .272 hitter in 2,908 games.
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- Morning links: Steve Young quotes Joseph...
- Ute recruit Tyler Huntley posting huge...
- Felt's Facts: Breaking down the Utah high...
- Underrated East Carolina will test BYU's defense
- BYU vs. East Carolina: How to attend, watch,...
- BYU football: East Carolina in 6 numbers
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 53
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 46
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 40
- Utah Utes football: The California... 30
- Utes back in the college football... 27
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 22
- Underrated East Carolina will test... 19