Siftings Herald, Joe Phelps, Associated Press
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. — Three people, including a distant cousin of former presidential candidate Mike Huckabee, have died in a homicide and kidnapping case in Arkansas, police said Monday.
Arkadelphia Police dispatcher Dusty Welch told The Associated Press that Donald Hux killed his ex-wife, Amy Huckabee, before he was fatally shot by law enforcement officers in the southern part of the state. Amy Huckabee's current husband, Sandy Huckabee, was found dead Sunday at the couple's home in Arkadelphia, which is about 70 miles southwest of Little Rock.
Sandy Huckabee's father was the first cousin of former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee's father.
Authorities said Hux, 36, abducted Amy Huckabee and their three children in Arkadelphia and then drove about 80 miles to El Dorado in Union County. He dropped the children off somewhere there, and they weren't hurt, according to the local sheriff's office.
Meanwhile, police in Arkadelphia learned about the situation and went to the Huckabee home to do a welfare check. They found Sandy Huckabee's body inside and issued a warrant for Hux's arrest on capital murder, kidnapping and other charges.
About 9 p.m. on Sunday, Hux's father, Marvin Hux, called authorities and said his Buick Rendezvous had been stolen, Arkansas State Police spokesman Bill Sadler said. Shortly after that call, the missing SUV turned up on a rural road outside El Dorado.
"There was an exchange of gunfire between local law enforcement with Donald Hux," Sadler said.
He said Amy Huckabee was there, but he wouldn't say how she or Hux died. He specifically would not confirm Arkadelphia police's statement that Hux killed his ex-wife, saying that investigators were working to figure out who died first.
Hux was released Thursday from a jail in Louisiana, where he had been serving time for a solicitation of prostitution charge in Caddo Parish.
A man who answered a phone number listed for Hux said, "There's no comment to be made right now."
Follow Jeannie Nuss at http://twitter.com/jeannienuss
- Six Ferguson officers face federal lawsuits...
- Saudi king says terrorists will reach Europe...
- 5 takeaways from a punch-less summer box office
- Fear spreads as Ebola moves from remote areas...
- 'Guardians' stays atop cinemas amid worst...
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Common Core,...
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh Hewitt...
- Feds eye stricter rules for railroad rights...
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 39
- 10 things to know about corporate... 32
- Obama tamps down prospect of strikes in... 16
- Winning plaintiffs in 3 states want... 14
- 3 ways insurers can still avoid... 13
- Saudi king says terrorists will reach... 13
- It's about time the government... 12
- Freelancers and millennials help usher... 10