Flacco will move on after answering his doubters by completing 22 of 36 passes for 306 yards, his third most of the season. He had two touchdowns but threw a costly interception that Brandon Spikes caught at the Patriots 31 and returned to the 50 midway through the fourth quarter.
On the next play, though, Jimmy Smith intercepted Brady's pass in the end zone.
After an exchange of punts, Flacco began his final drive of the season with 1:44 left, 79 yards away from the end zone. He completed five of seven passes before the oh-so-close toss to Evans.
"He played his tail off," Ravens safety Bernard Pollard said, "and for the people who keep dogging him, man, if you never played this game, shut up, shut up, you know. He played his tail off."
And his pass to Evans was right on target. The celebration on Baltimore's sideline already had started.
"If you weren't celebrating, you weren't a Raven fan," said Lewis, dressed in a brown pinstripe suit after removing his uniform for the last time this season. "That's the irony of sports. It's a game of inches."
Inches that make all the difference between a chance for a championship and a promise for next season.
"We fell 15 seconds from having it," Suggs said, "so, please believe, it won't happen again."
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- Utah Jazz: Red-hot Jazz shock the Kings, 122-101
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- Mountain View hires former Timpview head...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 100
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 81
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 70
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 51
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 50
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34