CEDAR CITY — Jackson Stevenett had 18 points and nine rebounds and Southern Utah held on in the final minute for a 58-56 victory over IPFW on Saturday night.
The Thunderbirds (10-10, 5-5 Summit) led 57-52 after Jordan Johnson hit 1 of 2 free throws with 1:30 remaining. A layup by Frank Gaines at the 1:18 mark and another from Antwaun Boyd with 47 seconds left cut the lead to 57-56.
After Ramell Taylor hit 1 of 2 free throws to extend Southern Utah's lead to two points with 9 seconds left, IPFW had two shots at the rim in the final seconds, but a layup by Gaines was off the mark and Boyd missed on the follow-up.
Gaines had 19 points and nine rebounds for the Mastodons (9-10, 3-7), who have lost four straight. Justin Jordan added 13 points.
Southern Utah also got 10 points and five assists from Ray Jones Jr.
UTAH VALLEY 72, NORTH DAKOTA 64: At Orem, Alfonzo Hubbard scored 17 points and Holton Hunsaker added 16 while Isiah Williams had 12 points and Keith Thompson 11 for the Wolverines (11-10, 1-0 Great West). Geddes Robinson had 13 rebounds and Ben Aird five steals.
Troy Huff scored 15 points and Josh Schuler added 12 for North Dakota (8-10, 0-1), which had travel delays that pushed back the start time of Saturday's game by an hour.
North Dakota was originally scheduled to arrive in Salt Lake City on Friday night, but flight problems delayed the team's arrival until Saturday.
A 3-pointer by Aaron Anderson gave North Dakota a 62-61 lead with 3:46 remaining, but it did not score again until 15 seconds were left. Meanwhile, Thompson and Hunsaker made layups, and Utah Valley added six free throws for a 71-62 cushion.
North Dakota shot 1 for 5 from the floor and 0 for 1 from the free-throw line and committed five turnovers down the stretch.
DIXIE STATE 84, HAWAII PACIFIC 68: At St. GEORGE, Maurice Cole scored a career-high 24 points and added seven assists while McKay Massey had 14 points and Griffon Jones chipped in 13 points as the Red Storm improved to 11-4 overall and 6-1 in the PacWest.
For Hawaii Pacific, LaBrent Chappell connected on four from behind the arc to lead his team with 16 points. The Sea Warriors drop to 7-8 overall and 2-6 in the PacWest.
SLCC 75, SNOW COLLEGE 72: At Ephraim, the Bruins went into halftime down 17 points, but pressure defense and clutch shooting allowed Salt Lake (16-4, 3-2) to battle back.
Snow College had no answer for Jayson Chessman down low. Chessman led Salt Lake with 21 points and eight rebounds while Darian Cartharn scored 14 point on 3 of six from behind the arc.
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Penn State sweeps BYU for a record seventh...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Dick Harmon: Execution, not words, will crown...
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Utah State caps historic season with win over...
- Utah basketball team makes it a doubly-good...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 62
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 47
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 40
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28