Chris O'Meara, Associated Press
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — Thankful for another opportunity to bolster his resume for pro scouts, Lennon Creer made the most of the East-West Shrine game.
The Louisiana Tech running back scored on a 9-yard run with 47 seconds remaining Saturday and earned the offensive MVP award for lifting the West to a 24-17 victory.
"It was a great honor, but I've got to give it to the offensive line. I was just hoping to get out there and show what I can do," said Creer, who rushed for 80 yards on 15 carries.
"I learned a lot this week and I was glad to bring some of it to the field. The main thing was being patient, working to find the holes. It was all a great experience," Creer said. "It was just a blessing being here with all these great players."
Quarterbacks Chandler Harnish of Northern Illinois and Tyler Hansen of Colorado had short TD runs for the West, which rallied from an early 10-0 deficit at Tropicana Field.
Missouri Western State's Greg Zuerlein kicked a 35-yard field goal that made it 17-17 early in the fourth quarter, setting the stage for Hansen to lead the winning drive in the closing minutes.
NFLPA COLLEGIATE BOWL: At Carson, Calif., Syracuse running back Antwon Bailey and Tulsa quarterback G.J. Kinne rushed for touchdowns, helping the National beat the American 20-14 on Saturday in the inaugural NFLPA Collegiate Bowl.
Washington's Erik Folk kicked field goals of 26 and 45 yards for the National, which jumped out to a 17-0 lead.
Eastern Washington's Bo Levi Mitchell and LSU's Jarrett Lee threw touchdown pass to help the American squad rally.
The National capitalized in the second quarter when Lee and Southern wide receiver Jared Green misplayed an end-around that was recovered by UNLV's B.J. Bell at the American 20. Kinne scrambled up the middle for a touchdown on the ensuing play to put the National ahead 17-0. The American squad got on the scoreboard when Lee found Hampton's Isaiah Thomas in the back of the end zone for a 13-yard touchdown pass with 1:51 left in the first half
- Booker, other locals could get NFL draft...
- Decades later, Thurl Bailey and N.C. State...
- Niumatalolo and Navy make another trip to the...
- BYU men's volleyball: Underwood and others...
- 2016 NFL draft: BYU's Bronson Kaufusi...
- The BYU international basketball tracker: How...
- Having freshman QBs is a mixed bag for Utah
- Morning links: Which local prospects could...
- Morning links: BYU's Eric Mika returns... 86
- BYU basketball: Cougars to play USC... 49
- BYU's Kaufusi an intriguing NFL... 26
- Having freshman QBs is a mixed bag for... 19
- Morning links: NFL Draft prospect news... 18
- Oakland Raiders owner says he will... 17
- 2016 NFL draft: Local players who might... 14
- BYU football announces full spring... 12