Like his knees, Greg Ostertag's professional basketball comeback is shot.
The former Utah Jazz center parted ways with the Texas Legends of the D-League on Thursday because of intolerable knee pain.
Ostertag told ESPN.com that his knees bugged him since he resumed his pro career in late December after a five-year hiatus.
"I could barely move (after Reno)," Ostertag told the sports website. "I felt good there and I played good. I get out there and sometimes I do get loose, but usually the 'don'ts' are longer than the 'dos.' It sucks, but I knew going into this what could happen."
Ostertag, who left the NBA in 2006, averaged 4.3 points, 5.0 rebounds and 13.3 minutes in 10 games with Texas.
"I regret quitting when I did," he said, explaining that he got tired of the travel and not being able to sleep well after games.
As for his comeback bid, Ostertag added: "I hope people understand that this was not a publicity stunt. I genuinely wanted to play basketball."
The 38-year-old Ostertag, who spent 10 seasons with the Jazz, even thought he played well at times.
"But I just can't move the way I need to," he added. "These guys are young and fast. Some of them were just getting out of diapers when I came into the league."
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: DJJazzyJody
- Former longtime Utah Jazz broadcaster Hot Rod...
- BYU players work out at Pro Day in hopes of...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes as...
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- BYU football hosts 'Friday Night Lights'...
- Runnin' Utes take on Duke in Texas-sized venue
- Utah football: Booker's return lifts offense,...
- Former Duke and Utah player Chris Burgess...
- Utes to face Duke in the Sweet 16... 207
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 67
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill is making a... 31
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 27
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- It's Coach K vs. Coach K as Utah... 22
- Ogden chooses to play as an independent... 21