Like his knees, Greg Ostertag's professional basketball comeback is shot.
The former Utah Jazz center parted ways with the Texas Legends of the D-League on Thursday because of intolerable knee pain.
Ostertag told ESPN.com that his knees bugged him since he resumed his pro career in late December after a five-year hiatus.
"I could barely move (after Reno)," Ostertag told the sports website. "I felt good there and I played good. I get out there and sometimes I do get loose, but usually the 'don'ts' are longer than the 'dos.' It sucks, but I knew going into this what could happen."
Ostertag, who left the NBA in 2006, averaged 4.3 points, 5.0 rebounds and 13.3 minutes in 10 games with Texas.
"I regret quitting when I did," he said, explaining that he got tired of the travel and not being able to sleep well after games.
As for his comeback bid, Ostertag added: "I hope people understand that this was not a publicity stunt. I genuinely wanted to play basketball."
The 38-year-old Ostertag, who spent 10 seasons with the Jazz, even thought he played well at times.
"But I just can't move the way I need to," he added. "These guys are young and fast. Some of them were just getting out of diapers when I came into the league."
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: DJJazzyJody
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley paying a...
- Morning links: Bronson Kaufusi could be on...
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- For some Jazz players, their future is up in...
- Utah State football: Offensive lineman Tyshon...
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL draftee
- 41-year-old mom looking to join U.S. team,...
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley... 107
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL... 60
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of... 31
- Having freshman QBs is a mixed bag for... 23
- Oakland Raiders owner says he will... 21
- Guest commentary: BYU football and... 21
- Dick Harmon: So, another Kaufusi goes... 12
- Decades later, Thurl Bailey and N.C.... 12