Utah Grizzlies use Paul McIlveen 3rd-period hat trick to beat Bakersfield, 6-3
WEST VALLEY CITY — The Utah Grizzlies got three third period goals from Paul McIlveen to beat the Bakersfield Condors 6-3 Thursday night at Maverik Center before 4,845 fans.
Paul McIlveen had four goals and one assist, Mitch Fadden one goal and two assists and Grizzlies captain Nick Tuzzolino had one goal and two assists on his 26th birthday.
"I didn't like the first 40 (minutes), but the guys played a good team game, a nice final 20 minutes," said Grizzlies Head Coach Kevin Colley. "It was pucks out, puck in automatically (in the third) and that's how you win.
Guys need to figure out what wins and it's pucks in and pucks out. We kept it simple and the guys did a good job of that."
Utah scored on their first shot of the game on Mitch Fadden's 11th goal of the year as he started his four point night 2:13 into the contest. Logan MacMillan extended his scoring streak to three games on the play and Matt Reber tallied an assist. "It's always exciting getting up ice with him (Fadden), he's a very skilled player, very fun to play with, I just try to get him the puck," said Logan MacMillan. Bakersfield tied on a power-play goal at 7:02 and it was 1-1 after one period.
Each team scored twice in the second with Utah taking a 2-1 lead on McIlveen's first of the night 8:34 into the period. Nick Tuzzolino then tied the game at 3 after back-to-back Condors goals gave Bakersfield their only lead of the night for 2:28.
In the third, McIlveen struck at 12:26, 16:54 and 19:44 on the power-play for his 17th, 18th and 19th goals of the year. He scored on all four shots in the game.
Utah goaltender Andrew Engelage stopped 27 of 30 in the victory.
Utah hosts Bakersfield Friday at 7 p.m. for Maverik Night. All tickets are $6 with a Maverik receipt when presented at the arena box office.
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Utah basketball team makes it a doubly-good...
- Dick Harmon: Execution, not words, will crown...
- Penn State sweeps BYU for a record seventh...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 62
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 50
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot... 22