David Goldman, Associated Press
NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. — The race for the Republican presidential nomination took a turn toward the South Carolina surreal Thursday as Rick Perry dropped out, Newt Gingrich faced stunning allegations from an ex-wife and Mitt Romney struggled to maintain a shaky front-runner's standing.
An aggressive, elbows-flying evening debate capped the bewildering day.
Former Sen. Rick Santorum played aggressor for much of the night, struggling to inject himself into what seemed increasingly like a two-way race with less than 48 hours remaining until the South Carolina polls open on Saturday. He accused Gingrich and Romney of "playing footsies with the left" when it came to health care. Both men rejected the allegations.
The debate began a few hours after first word that Romney had been stripped of his Iowa caucus victory, then had been stung by Perry's withdrawal and endorsement of Gingrich.
Gingrich, in turn, was accused by an ex-wife of seeking an open marriage so he could keep his mistress.
"Newt's not perfect, but who among us is," said Perry, abruptly quitting the race just before the first-in-the-South primary.
His decision to end a once-promising candidacy left Romney, Gingrich, Santorum and Texas Rep. Ron Paul the remaining contenders in the race to pick a Republican to challenge Democratic President Barack Obama this fall.
- Lawmakers to rehash Utah's stillbirth law due...
- EPA proposes stricter ozone standard;...
- Utah to pay plaintiffs in marriage...
- GOP plans to sue over Count My Vote compromise
- 5 investigated in FIFA WCup bid corruption probe
- San Francisco's bid for 2024 Olympics taking...
- Official: US commandos took part in Yemen raid
- 20-year-old woman killed after car veers off...
- Utah to pay plaintiffs in marriage... 34
- Grand jury won't indict Ferguson cop in... 30
- Obama: Americans want 'new car smell'... 29
- GOP plans to sue over Count My Vote... 27
- Under pressure, Hagel steps down as... 15
- Obama immigration plan good, not great... 13
- Obama heads to Chicago to pitch... 13
- Attorney General Eric Holder:... 11