David Goldman, Associated Press
NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. — The race for the Republican presidential nomination took a turn toward the South Carolina surreal Thursday as Rick Perry dropped out, Newt Gingrich faced stunning allegations from an ex-wife and Mitt Romney struggled to maintain a shaky front-runner's standing.
An aggressive, elbows-flying evening debate capped the bewildering day.
Former Sen. Rick Santorum played aggressor for much of the night, struggling to inject himself into what seemed increasingly like a two-way race with less than 48 hours remaining until the South Carolina polls open on Saturday. He accused Gingrich and Romney of "playing footsies with the left" when it came to health care. Both men rejected the allegations.
The debate began a few hours after first word that Romney had been stripped of his Iowa caucus victory, then had been stung by Perry's withdrawal and endorsement of Gingrich.
Gingrich, in turn, was accused by an ex-wife of seeking an open marriage so he could keep his mistress.
"Newt's not perfect, but who among us is," said Perry, abruptly quitting the race just before the first-in-the-South primary.
His decision to end a once-promising candidacy left Romney, Gingrich, Santorum and Texas Rep. Ron Paul the remaining contenders in the race to pick a Republican to challenge Democratic President Barack Obama this fall.
- 67 unaccompanied children who crossed...
- Republican, Democratic political insiders say...
- GOP: Lois Lerner's IRS emails show bias...
- Probe exposes flaws behind HealthCare.gov...
- Lawsuit accuses state of illegally pursuing...
- Obama to GOP: 'Stop just hating all the time'
- Swallow, Shurtleff case may spark — or...
- 9 startup companies perfect for your family
- 67 unaccompanied children who crossed... 62
- Republican, Democratic political... 47
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all... 46
- Obama to GOP: 'Stop just hating all the... 46
- GOP-led House ready to OK lawsuit... 30
- GOP: Lois Lerner's IRS emails show bias... 26
- Obama maintains busy fundraising... 22
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 22