David Goldman, Associated Press
NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. — The race for the Republican presidential nomination took a turn toward the South Carolina surreal Thursday as Rick Perry dropped out, Newt Gingrich faced stunning allegations from an ex-wife and Mitt Romney struggled to maintain a shaky front-runner's standing.
An aggressive, elbows-flying evening debate capped the bewildering day.
Former Sen. Rick Santorum played aggressor for much of the night, struggling to inject himself into what seemed increasingly like a two-way race with less than 48 hours remaining until the South Carolina polls open on Saturday. He accused Gingrich and Romney of "playing footsies with the left" when it came to health care. Both men rejected the allegations.
The debate began a few hours after first word that Romney had been stripped of his Iowa caucus victory, then had been stung by Perry's withdrawal and endorsement of Gingrich.
Gingrich, in turn, was accused by an ex-wife of seeking an open marriage so he could keep his mistress.
"Newt's not perfect, but who among us is," said Perry, abruptly quitting the race just before the first-in-the-South primary.
His decision to end a once-promising candidacy left Romney, Gingrich, Santorum and Texas Rep. Ron Paul the remaining contenders in the race to pick a Republican to challenge Democratic President Barack Obama this fall.
- Gov. Herbert nominates 3rd District Judge...
- Final goodbye: Roll call of some who died in...
- Utah lawmakers recommend lowest-cost solution...
- Nation, Utah nervously await coal ash rule...
- A post-election flurry: Obama tests his powers
- Abused children die as officials across the...
- Obama signature all that's left in BYU's...
- Timeline of the Sony Pictures Entertainment hack
- Majority of Utahns oppose moving state... 51
- Prison relocation sites down to four as... 50
- Obama: US re-establishing diplomatic... 49
- Obama signature all that's left in... 39
- Vermont governor abandons single-payer... 31
- Audit: Utah still relies heavily on... 16
- Utahns favor Count My Vote and SB54,... 15
- Plan to relocate prison to Salt Lake... 14