David Goldman, Associated Press
NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. — The race for the Republican presidential nomination took a turn toward the South Carolina surreal Thursday as Rick Perry dropped out, Newt Gingrich faced stunning allegations from an ex-wife and Mitt Romney struggled to maintain a shaky front-runner's standing.
An aggressive, elbows-flying evening debate capped the bewildering day.
Former Sen. Rick Santorum played aggressor for much of the night, struggling to inject himself into what seemed increasingly like a two-way race with less than 48 hours remaining until the South Carolina polls open on Saturday. He accused Gingrich and Romney of "playing footsies with the left" when it came to health care. Both men rejected the allegations.
The debate began a few hours after first word that Romney had been stripped of his Iowa caucus victory, then had been stung by Perry's withdrawal and endorsement of Gingrich.
Gingrich, in turn, was accused by an ex-wife of seeking an open marriage so he could keep his mistress.
"Newt's not perfect, but who among us is," said Perry, abruptly quitting the race just before the first-in-the-South primary.
His decision to end a once-promising candidacy left Romney, Gingrich, Santorum and Texas Rep. Ron Paul the remaining contenders in the race to pick a Republican to challenge Democratic President Barack Obama this fall.
- NYC police commissioner: Hatchet attack was...
- Ebola: More calls for travel bans or quarantines
- Stay lifted on adoptions by same-sex parents...
- Mia Love raising more money than Doug Owens...
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy don't...
- Dallas nurse, now free of Ebola, receives...
- House Democrats on defense in Nevada
- Annual NAACP event calls for increased voter...
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy... 127
- Stay lifted on adoptions by same-sex... 86
- GOP senators, congressmen offer support... 45
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 20
- Mia Love raising more money than Doug... 20
- Owens participates in Rotary Club... 17
- Fossil fuels rally planned for Thursday... 17
- Lockhart, Seelig work to galvanize... 10