Cougar Nation: BYU volleyball: Cougars set for 1st home match this season with No. 1 ranking
Mike Terry, Deseret News
PROVO — The BYU men's volleyball team is a big deal down in Provo most years. Fans regularly sell out the Smith Fieldhouse — providing a raucous venue for opposing teams.
Tonight they play their home-opener against fifth-ranked USC before squaring off against them again on Saturday night with attendance likely to be standing-room only.
BYU will come into the match with a lot of momentum having knocked off then No. 1-ranked UC-Irvine on consecutive nights. That No. 1 rank now belongs to the 4-1 Cougars and they'll work to prove worthy of that ranking starting tonight against the 3-0 Trojans.
The Cougars are led by 6-4 sophomore Taylor Sander, who leads the team with 94 kills. It's a team that features a lot of good experience from a season ago including Sander, 6-7 senior Robb Stowell (50 kills) and 6-7 junior Russ Lavaja (28 kills) along with some exciting new freshmen such as the 6-3 Josue Rivera (46 kills).
The Cougars reached the national quarterfinals a year ago before being knocked out by UC-Santa Barbara. With a lot of the leading players returning from a year ago along and with their early No. 1 national ranking, the Cougars are looking to win their first national championship since 2004.
COUGARS ON THE AIR
No. 5 USC (3-0) at No. 1 BYU (4-1)
Tonight, 7 p.m. MT
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- Red and blue recruits: Inside Britain Covey's...
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit after ACC...
- Lone Peak guard, former BYU commit Jackson,...
- Doug Robinson: What might have been for the...
- Faith and family are driving forces for LDS...
- BYU basketball: Cougars shake up starting...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 74
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 61
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35