Cougar Nation: BYU volleyball: Cougars set for 1st home match this season with No. 1 ranking
Mike Terry, Deseret News
PROVO — The BYU men's volleyball team is a big deal down in Provo most years. Fans regularly sell out the Smith Fieldhouse — providing a raucous venue for opposing teams.
Tonight they play their home-opener against fifth-ranked USC before squaring off against them again on Saturday night with attendance likely to be standing-room only.
BYU will come into the match with a lot of momentum having knocked off then No. 1-ranked UC-Irvine on consecutive nights. That No. 1 rank now belongs to the 4-1 Cougars and they'll work to prove worthy of that ranking starting tonight against the 3-0 Trojans.
The Cougars are led by 6-4 sophomore Taylor Sander, who leads the team with 94 kills. It's a team that features a lot of good experience from a season ago including Sander, 6-7 senior Robb Stowell (50 kills) and 6-7 junior Russ Lavaja (28 kills) along with some exciting new freshmen such as the 6-3 Josue Rivera (46 kills).
The Cougars reached the national quarterfinals a year ago before being knocked out by UC-Santa Barbara. With a lot of the leading players returning from a year ago along and with their early No. 1 national ranking, the Cougars are looking to win their first national championship since 2004.
COUGARS ON THE AIR
No. 5 USC (3-0) at No. 1 BYU (4-1)
Tonight, 7 p.m. MT
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve...
- Friday night lights central, playoffs...
- High school football: Friday's playoff roundup
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's progress...
- High school football: State tournament pairings
- Langi making an impact at linebacker for BYU
- Utes carry momentum into showdown with the...
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 60
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 56
- High school football: State tournament... 55
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve... 51
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the... 35
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32