WEST VALLEY CITY — Hunter High School is looking for its fourth football coach in eight months.
Tim Murphy resigned as the Wolverines new head coach just a month after accepting the job.
School administrators met with the student athletes Wednesday afternoon to let them know Murphy wouldn't be the program's coach next year.
"We're just letting them know that we're looking for the best candidate, and we want to find someone who wants to be here for the long haul," said Hunter athletic director Pam Olsen. "We know they're frustrated, but stick it out and we'll get through this process as quickly as possible."
Olsen said Murphy, a resident of California, resigned for personal reasons. Murphy coached at Clovis East High for 10 years and in 15 years as a head coach, he won nine league championships and had three undefeated seasons.
Murphy was supposed to start teaching at Hunter on Jan. 17.
"(Hunter) is a lot like the two other schools I've coached," Murphy told the Deseret News at the time of his hiring. "I really liked what I saw — the atmosphere, and I really clicked well with the principal, John Welburn."
Murphy was hired to replace Les Hamilton, the former Alta head coach, who quit after one season to take a job at Pleasant Grove High School. Hamilton's family resides in Utah County and he said he wanted to be closer to home.
The players are understandably disappointed to lose another promising coach.
"Even though he was only here and around the boys for one day, they were excited," Olsen said.
Administrators posted the job Wednesday and it will remain open until tomorrow (Friday). They will begin interviewing candidates next week and hope to have a new coach hired by the first week of February.
"We are looking for someone with varsity head coach or head coordinator experience," said Olsen. Interested parties can apply through the Granite School District's website.
- Utah high schoolers who've reached the Super...
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'...
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around as...
- Utes get it done at home again
- Former Utah Jazz guard Deron Williams had...
- Utah Utes still pursuing several big-time...
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes still outstanding from...
- BYU basketball analysis: Why the Cougars...
- Brad Rock: BYU asleep at the switch on... 98
- BYU, Michigan State agree to... 90
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 61
- Dick Harmon: BYU continuing new policy... 55
- Utah football: Utes add former BYU... 51
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 29
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28