WEST VALLEY CITY — Hunter High School is looking for its fourth football coach in eight months.
Tim Murphy resigned as the Wolverines new head coach just a month after accepting the job.
School administrators met with the student athletes Wednesday afternoon to let them know Murphy wouldn't be the program's coach next year.
"We're just letting them know that we're looking for the best candidate, and we want to find someone who wants to be here for the long haul," said Hunter athletic director Pam Olsen. "We know they're frustrated, but stick it out and we'll get through this process as quickly as possible."
Olsen said Murphy, a resident of California, resigned for personal reasons. Murphy coached at Clovis East High for 10 years and in 15 years as a head coach, he won nine league championships and had three undefeated seasons.
Murphy was supposed to start teaching at Hunter on Jan. 17.
"(Hunter) is a lot like the two other schools I've coached," Murphy told the Deseret News at the time of his hiring. "I really liked what I saw — the atmosphere, and I really clicked well with the principal, John Welburn."
Murphy was hired to replace Les Hamilton, the former Alta head coach, who quit after one season to take a job at Pleasant Grove High School. Hamilton's family resides in Utah County and he said he wanted to be closer to home.
The players are understandably disappointed to lose another promising coach.
"Even though he was only here and around the boys for one day, they were excited," Olsen said.
Administrators posted the job Wednesday and it will remain open until tomorrow (Friday). They will begin interviewing candidates next week and hope to have a new coach hired by the first week of February.
"We are looking for someone with varsity head coach or head coordinator experience," said Olsen. Interested parties can apply through the Granite School District's website.
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl...
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Tanner Mangum is...
- MWC commissioner says it's probable BYU...
- For now, odds are '50-50' that BYU ends up in...
- After years of working and dreaming, BYU...
- Jimmer Fredette has BYU-esque performance in...
- BYU football what you may have missed: Not...
- Jazz lose 106-103 heartbreaker to the...
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 109
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 70
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl... 64
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell... 46
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's... 39
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA... 37
- Brad Rock: Utes need bowl win to avoid... 36
- BYU reaches 9-win plateau, hoping for... 33