"I thought we had a good week of preparation," McCarthy said. "I'm sure it hit everybody differently on a personal level. I thought the way everybody rallied around Joe and what his family demonstrated through an incredible tragedy is something we could all learn from."
Nor did McCarthy think they were rusty after resting key players in the regular-season finale and getting a first-round bye in the playoffs, calling that a "convenient excuse."
But he did acknowledge that the defense has to get better.
The Packers allowed 420 yards as Manning threw for 330 yards and three touchdowns. The Packers sacked Manning only once. And while they did force one turnover, a Manning interception, it wasn't enough.
The Packers had only 29 sacks in the regular season, tying them for third-fewest in the league; Clay Matthews had a quiet season from a pass-rush perspective with only six sacks.
Matthews' numbers likely would improve with better production from the other outside linebacker spot. Erik Walden started most of the season, but Frank Zombo started the regular season finale and Brad Jones started the playoff game. That's one spot where the Packers could try to bring in more competition.
But for McCarthy, those are conversations to be had later in the season. For now, he still seems puzzled by the fact that his team made so many mistakes.
"Did we handle the highs and lows of that football game as well as we did other games? Probably not," McCarthy said. "That's something that I would point to if I was evaluating it from your chair. That's what we'll continue to learn from."
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for...
- Class of 2015: Utah high school athletes with...
- Christian Stewart writes final chapter on...
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A decade...
- High school sports: Nearly 650 athletes...
- Jazz in talks with German center Pleiss,...
- Utah Jazz bolster coaching staff on first day...
- Ranking the best free agents in the NBA
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for... 61
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why... 56
- Amy Donaldson: Former BYU QB Jake... 50
- Morning links: New BYU commit's late... 31
- Dick Harmon: BYU's retired AD Glen... 27
- Morning links: Damian Lillard, Paul... 24
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A... 23
- Jazz not expected to be a major player... 13