SANDY — Real Salt Lake's preseason roster is starting to take shape after the club added four more players to its squad via Tuesday's MLS Supplemental Draft.
Three of the players came straight from the Supplemental Draft, while the fourth arrived following a post-draft trade with Seattle.
RSL snagged UCLA midfielder Andy Rose with the sixth-overall pick in the Supplemental Draft, but promptly traded him to Seattle in exchange for the rights to former SMU player Leone Cruz. The 24-year-old defender was the 21st player taken in last year's MLS SuperDraft, but the Sounders cut him before the season started. They still held his rights, though.
Rose, who's from Bristol, England, was a three-time All-Pac 12 selection. This past season he started all 24 games, registering two goals and three assists.
With the 17th pick in the first round of Tuesday's Supplemental Draft, RSL drafted midfielder Emiliano Bonfigli, 23, who hails from Bahia Blanca, Argentina. Last season he played for Manta F.C. in the Ecuadoran Serie A.
RSL then added Northwestern forward Oliver Kupe in the second round and midfielder Benjamin Ubierna (Peru) in the third round before passing its fourth round selection.
Kupe scored 22 goals in four seasons at Northwestern. Ubierna's previous club was C.D. Universidad San Martin de Porres in Peru's Primera Division.
The quartet of players will have just over a month to prove they're MLS-caliber players before the 2012 season kicks off on March 10.
Last Thursday, RSL snagged three players in the two-round SuperDraft, including highly-regarded North Carolina midfielder Enzo Martinez. Coach Jason Kreis' team then added Diogo de Almeida and Sebastian Velasquez in the second round.
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- The photos from the seats and the sideline...
- Utah football notes: Paul makes quite a splash
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- BYU football report card: Special teams...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 138
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 89
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 76
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to... 66
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 52
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33