Utah Utes football: Coach Kyle Whittingham adds brother Fred Jr., Pablo Cano to staff
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah coach Kyle Whittingham has expanded the Utes' recruiting operations by announcing two additions to his staff, including someone he knows real well.
His brother, Fred Whittingham Jr., is the football program's new director of player personnel. Former Arizona State on-site recruiting coordinator Pablo Cano will serve as the assistant director of player personnel.
The duo will oversee all aspects of on-campus recruiting and recruiting operations. They'll also oversee current player development as well as youth and high school clinics and camps.
Whittingham joins his brother's staff after a successful career as an executive in the higher education publishing industry. Since 2004, Whittingham served as a senior regional sales manager for McGraw-Hill and led a group that accounted for annual revenues of $100 million.
"Fred's experience as a top performer in the sales and management field will directly translate to his duties as our director of player personnel," Kyle Whittingham said in a released statement announcing the hires. "He brings strong leadership, management and motivational qualifications to the position and has been involved with and around football his entire life."
Fred Whittingham Jr., was a starting running back for BYU from 1987-89 — leading the Cougars in rushing each season and serving as a team captain as a senior. The Academic All-American went on to play one season on the Los Angeles Rams' practice squad before playing for the San Antonio Riders of the Wolrd League of American Football the following year.
Cano brings 23 years of experience to Utah, including the past three seasons as a recruiting coordinator at Arizona State. The former head coach at New Mexico Highlands (2006-07) has coached or been the recruiting coordinator in five states at 12 different programs, ranging from high schools to universities.
"Pablo has experience recruiting in the Pac-12 and his strong junior college ties will also be beneficial," Kyle Whittingham said.
- Boise State blasts BYU 55-30, Mendenhall...
- Keeping it rolling: Utes top Trojans in a...
- Dick Harmon: Boise State embarrasses a...
- Plenty of blame to go around for Cougars...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense needs Bronco...
- High school football: State tournament pairings
- Utah State Aggies lose another QB, but hold...
- Utah-USC: Battle of ranked teams at...
- Boise State blasts BYU 55-30,... 114
- Dick Harmon: Utes climb on big stage;... 75
- Dick Harmon: Boise State embarrasses a... 61
- Utes picked to finish 2nd in Pac-12... 24
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 21
- BYU walk-on Carter makes most of... 19
- Beast mode: Utah running back Devontae... 18
- BYU-Boise State game expected to... 16