WASHINGTON — Protesters affiliated with the Occupy Wall Street movement will meet outside the Capitol in Washington for what participants hope will become the largest gathering of Occupy activists from around the country.
Participants say they plan to decry the influence of corporate money in politics and show the House of Representatives what real democracy looks like. The House reconvenes Tuesday after its winter recess.
The protest comes as the nation's capital has emerged as one of the strongest bastions of the Occupy movement, in part because the National Park Service has allowed protesters to maintain their encampments in two public squares near the White House.
Participants say the daylong demonstration will be peaceful, although it's possible some will risk arrest.
- 10 things to know about corporate inversions
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh Hewitt...
- University of Phoenix founder dies, leaving...
- It's about time the government recognize the...
- A New York Times article said Michael Brown...
- UN: Ebola cases could eventually reach 20,000
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt wed privately at...
- Obama tamps down prospect of strikes in Syria
- A New York Times article said Michael... 42
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 34
- For the first time in American history,... 30
- 10 things to know about corporate... 27
- Doug Robinson: When did Missouri turn... 24
- Why the poverty cycle is harder to... 15
- Winning plaintiffs in 3 states want... 14
- Mourners gather in St. Louis for Brown... 13