Tom Smart, Deseret News
Kudos to YWCA Salt Lake City, the University of Utah's Hinckley Institute of Politics and the Utah women of both parties who will use the Real Women Run program to encourage more women to run for office ("Free training Saturday intended to help more Utah women seek elected office," Jan 11).
2012 is a year of opportunity, coming on the heels of post-census reapportionment and redistricting. With new district lines and many open seats, such years offer the best chance for newcomers to win.
Utah, with its poor record for women's representation, definitely needs more women's voices at the table when critical decisions are being made. That's why, as part of The 2012 project, we're telling women in 2012 — in Utah and across the country — "Don't get mad, get elected."
New Brunswick, N.J.
Director, Program for
Women Public Officials
Center for Women and Politics
- Letter: Moral decline 87
- In our opinion: Utah should change law... 81
- Letter: Climate denial 62
- Ralph Hancock: Society cannot... 62
- Brian S. Brown: In defending marriage,... 54
- In our opinion: Some universities... 45
- Politico Magazine: If Mitt Romney runs... 44
- Robert Bennett: Obama should not move... 40