MIAMI — Denver Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy has joined the list of candidates for the Miami Dolphins' head coaching job.
McCoy completed an interview Monday, the Dolphins said. He's the first candidate to meet with the Dolphins since they were turned down Friday by former Titans coach Jeff Fisher, who chose instead to become coach of the St. Louis Rams.
Under McCoy this season, Denver's offense ranked only 23rd in yards and 26th in points. But McCoy won praise for adapting the offense at midseason when second-year pro Tim Tebow became the starting quarterback, and the Broncos made an improbable run to the second round of the playoffs before losing Saturday at New England.
The Oakland Raiders have also received permission from Denver to interview McCoy. The former quarterback was on the Carolina Panthers' staff from 2000 to 2008, then joined the Broncos in 2009.
The interview was the first in nearly a week for the Dolphins, who waited several days for a decision by Fisher. Other candidates interviewed by Miami have included Cincinnati Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer, Green Bay Packers offensive coordinator Joe Philbin, Chicago Bears special teams coordinator Dave Toub, and Todd Bowles, who was the Dolphins' interim coach for their final three games this season.
After being rejected by Fisher, Miami owner Stephen Ross said the team planned to interview several more candidates. The Dolphins fired Tony Sparano last month with three games to go in his fourth season as coach, and they finished 6-10 to miss the playoffs for the ninth time in 10 years.
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 91
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 44
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33