Sarah Burke's family cancels press conference to allow time for further tests
Doug Pensinger, Getty Images
"Late last night, Rory Bushfield, Sarah's husband, and members of her family met with physicians to discuss the results of Sarah's most recent neurological tests and assessments," said a statement released by her publicist, Nicole Wool. "Based on the information they received, we regret to inform you that they have decided to cancel today's press conference in order for further tests to be conducted this morning and in the coming days. The family wants to express their deep appreciation for the overwhelming support Sarah has received from all over the world. They ask that everyone continue to keep Sarah and Rory in their prayers. Rory and Sarah's family remain at the hospital."
Burke was injured while training in the superpipe at Park City Mountain Resort on Jan. 10. She underwent surgery on Wednesday to repair a vertebral artery that had torn as a result of the accident, causing intracranial hemorrhaging.
Surgeons called the surgery a success but said they'd have to continue to monitor Burke's brain activity to be able to discuss any prognosis or timeline for her recovery.
Burke is considered a pioneer in her sport of ski superpipe. The sport, along with women's ski jumping, was just sanctioned by the International Olympic Committee as an Olympic event for the 2014 Winter Games in Sochi, Russia.
Burke is a member of the Canadian Ski Team and the reigning Winter X Games champion. She was preparing to defend her ski superpipe title at the Winter X Games, which begin Jan. 26 in Colorado.
Family members ask that the media continue to respect their privacy. At the family's request, there will no further updates today from Sarah's family or the hospital.
Fellow skiers and fans from around the world have posted words of encouragement and love on Burke's Facebook page since the accident last week.
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Morning links: Steve Young quotes Joseph...
- Brad Rock: GameDay is quite the day in Utah
- BYU vs. East Carolina: How to attend, watch,...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Oct. 9
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Utah and Utah State should...
- BYU football: East Carolina in 6 numbers
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 54
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 41
- Utah Utes football: The California... 30
- Utes back in the college football... 27
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 27
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22
- Underrated East Carolina will test... 20
- Morning links: When will the Utes... 17