Doug Pensinger, Getty Images
"Late last night, Rory Bushfield, Sarah's husband, and members of her family met with physicians to discuss the results of Sarah's most recent neurological tests and assessments," said a statement released by her publicist, Nicole Wool. "Based on the information they received, we regret to inform you that they have decided to cancel today's press conference in order for further tests to be conducted this morning and in the coming days. The family wants to express their deep appreciation for the overwhelming support Sarah has received from all over the world. They ask that everyone continue to keep Sarah and Rory in their prayers. Rory and Sarah's family remain at the hospital."
Burke was injured while training in the superpipe at Park City Mountain Resort on Jan. 10. She underwent surgery on Wednesday to repair a vertebral artery that had torn as a result of the accident, causing intracranial hemorrhaging.
Surgeons called the surgery a success but said they'd have to continue to monitor Burke's brain activity to be able to discuss any prognosis or timeline for her recovery.
Burke is considered a pioneer in her sport of ski superpipe. The sport, along with women's ski jumping, was just sanctioned by the International Olympic Committee as an Olympic event for the 2014 Winter Games in Sochi, Russia.
Burke is a member of the Canadian Ski Team and the reigning Winter X Games champion. She was preparing to defend her ski superpipe title at the Winter X Games, which begin Jan. 26 in Colorado.
Family members ask that the media continue to respect their privacy. At the family's request, there will no further updates today from Sarah's family or the hospital.
Fellow skiers and fans from around the world have posted words of encouragement and love on Burke's Facebook page since the accident last week.
- Ranking the best NBA players to ever come out...
- BYU basketball: Confident San Francisco...
- Former Lone Peak center Justin Hamilton makes...
- 15 lessons learned from a BYU rugby game
- Photo story: What teenagers taught me at the...
- Basketball bonds: Hoops have tied Utah star...
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San Francisco...
- Utah Jazz: Boos for Paul Millsap?...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 73
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes eager to... 29
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26
- Krystkowiak asks Runnin' Utes to stay... 24
- Utah basketball: Regular-season finale... 24
- High school boys basketball: Lone Peak... 20