Romney's conscious of the criticism. Outside an Iowa HyVee, a day after he compared Obama to the French queen Marie Antoinette, Romney was asked if he could say, "let them eat cake" in French.
"I can, but I won't," Romney replied.
Santorum, the former Pennsylvania senator, rolled out a fundraising email Friday that warned his supporters that picking Romney would be like picking failed nominees John McCain, Al Gore, Bob Dole and even Dukakis, another former Massachusetts governor.
"Americans have been down this road before," Santorum says in the appeal. "At various times both parties nominated boring candidates because they were considered 'electable.' In every one of those cases, they weren't electable at all. Now Republicans are again thinking about nominating another bland and boring candidate for president — Mitt Romney."
Santorum compared Romney to Obama, who has had a reputation for being standoffish, saying: "Republicans can't afford a nominee" who resembles "Obama so much that he can't barely be distinguished from him."
Santorum also has hit Romney for appearing distant, calling his rival "someone who, I think, has had a difficult time relating to the type of voters we're going to need if we're going to win this election."
He cast Romney's tenure at the helm of a venture capital firm in terms that may resonate with many American workers: "It doesn't necessarily mean that you want your boss running for president, right?"
So far, Romney hasn't faltered as he answers attacks on his record. Will he when it gets personal?
- Mitt Romney courts middle class, jabs Hillary...
- Top Catholics and evangelicals: Gay marriage...
- McDonald's CEO steps down as sales decline
- Arizona monitoring hundreds for measles...
- California bars judges from Boy Scouts...
- Friend disputes Denver police account of...
- Profiting as a Super Bowl host city...
- After setting iPhone record, what does Apple...
- Mitt Romney courts middle class, jabs... 29
- Victim of sexual abuse sues Boy Scouts... 19
- Top Catholics and evangelicals: Gay... 18
- 'Potentially historic' blizzard... 12
- Some Republican presidential hopefuls... 12
- Denver police shoot, kill teen who... 12
- House GOP moves toward possible lawsuit... 11
- Prosecutors promise thorough probe of... 11