The Associated Press
LAS VEGAS — Miss America is getting ready to transfer her crown to one of 53 pageant queens looking to prove they've got a winning combination of looks, talent and smarts.
A panel of seven judges is set to pick the next Miss America on Saturday night during a live telecast on ABC. It's the culmination of a week of preliminary competitions and months of preparations for the titleholders from all 50 states plus the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
Teresa Scanlan, a Nebraskan who won Miss America last year at age 17 to become the pageant's youngest winner ever, said contestants nerves will likely be at their highest point just before the pageant.
But the young women have already given judges a first impression and largely shaped their fate.
- Security breached: Intruder gets into White...
- 11 best—and worst—state tax systems
- 'The Voice' returns Monday with Pharrell,...
- Tense hunt in trooper ambush case hits 8 days
- Second man arrested trying to enter White...
- After vote to stay in UK, Scots must heal divide
- Iranian youth behind 'Happy' video sentenced
- Actress detained by police refuses to apologize
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 19
- President Obama: Ebola outbreak a... 15
- School police stock up on free military... 11
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Security breached: Intruder gets into... 8
- How much America wants to be taxed 7
- New Jersey loses 4th casino as Trump... 5
- Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt... 5