One Republican presidential candidate is openly courting support from Mormons, while another White House hopeful is staying cautiously low-key regarding The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
These two candidates are Mitt Romney and Ron Paul.
But here's a game-changer guaranteed to surprise: Paul is actually the man actively courting LDS support, while Romney appears to be purposefully steering clear of religious-centric attention and controversy.
The Paul campaign announced a three-person "Latter-day Saints for Ron Paul" nationwide coalition. Lehi resident and Deseret News contributor Connor Boyack — author of "Latter-day Liberty: A Gospel Approach to Government and Politics" — headlines the group.
"Rep. Ron Paul has been a consistent champion of the Constitution and the principles of liberty, placing himself in similar esteem with Jefferson, Madison, Washington and other principled statesmen of the founding generation," Boyack said via press release. "He, more than any other candidate, has repeatedly demonstrated an unwavering, consistent commitment to keeping his sacred oath of office. Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints would do well to seriously study the public record and personal life of Ron Paul, and take advantage of the wonderful opportunity we have to support for president our very own modern founding father."
Conversely, "Mitt Skips The Mormon Moment" is the title of an article McKay Coppins posted Friday at BuzzFeed.
"For some Americans, Romney's rise has brought with it an increased suspicion of his faith. … But if combating bigotry, and sometimes complaining about it, is part of the modern Mormon experience, someone forgot to tell Mitt Romney. As a top-tier presidential candidate during the so-called 'Mormon moment,' Romney has been extremely reluctant to wade into the public debates surrounding his faith."
- Obama rejects Trump depiction of US in crisis
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Ex-KKK leader David Duke runs for Senate: 'My...
- AP source: Clinton's choice for VP to be...
- Hillary Clinton selects running mate for...
- Self-assured, Kaine brings a steady hand to...
- Trump takes time from victory lap to swat at...
- California governor denies parole for Manson...
- Sarah Silverman: Bernie-or-bust Dems... 49
- Obama rejects Trump depiction of US in... 43
- After turmoil, Sanders, Michelle Obama,... 31
- Dems' division, emails roil party on... 28
- Is Bernie Sanders an atheist? 28
- Watch live at the Democratic National... 25
- In wake of email hack, Democratic chair... 23
- Trump taunts claims that Russia hacked... 20