Stuart Johnson, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — When it comes to his search for a new offensive coordinator, Utah coach Kyle Whittingham isn't saying much.
Whittingham won't comment on specifics, adding that has no plans to do so until a hire is made and a press release is issued.
"There's no definitive timetable," Whittingham said Thursday. "We're just going through the process of interviewing candidates."
In the meantime, Whittingham isn't confirming anything including reports that former BYU coach Gary Crowton has interviewed for the vacancy created by Norm Chow's departure to Hawaii.
Crowton stepped down as Maryland's offensive coordinator on Dec. 14 and since been replaced by former New Mexico head coach Mike Locksley. Crowton's only season with the Terrapins didn't go so well. They finished with a 2-10 record while ranking 67th nationally in total offense (379.67 ypg) and 87th in scoring offense (23.08 ppg).
Before going to Maryland, Crowton was the offensive coordinator at Oregon (2005-06) and Louisiana State (2007-10). Prior to that, he was 26-23 in four seasons as BYU's head coach.
In other Utah-related coaching news, former receivers coach Billy Gonzales (2003-04) is expected to be named the new offensive coordinator at Illinois. He's been on the staff at LSU since 2009.
Ex-Ute offensive coordinator Andy Ludwig (2005-08), who ran the offense at San Diego State last season, is reportedly being considered for a similar post with Wisconsin.
- Cougars set to face Aggie QB Keeton in his...
- Schedule only gets tougher for BYU basketball...
- Cougars relish opportunity to play in-state...
- Brighton four-star recruit Sione Lund commits...
- Utah Jazz: Hayward finally has breakout game...
- BYU's bowl destination — Las Vegas or...
- BYU-Utah State: How to watch, listen to or...
- Utah State students plan a 'beard out' for...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 59
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 52
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 42
- Twitter reacts to Utes' offensive... 36
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected... 34
- Doug Robinson: It's the same old sad... 31
- Utah State denies David Collette's... 30
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's... 28