Stuart Johnson, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — When it comes to his search for a new offensive coordinator, Utah coach Kyle Whittingham isn't saying much.
Whittingham won't comment on specifics, adding that has no plans to do so until a hire is made and a press release is issued.
"There's no definitive timetable," Whittingham said Thursday. "We're just going through the process of interviewing candidates."
In the meantime, Whittingham isn't confirming anything including reports that former BYU coach Gary Crowton has interviewed for the vacancy created by Norm Chow's departure to Hawaii.
Crowton stepped down as Maryland's offensive coordinator on Dec. 14 and since been replaced by former New Mexico head coach Mike Locksley. Crowton's only season with the Terrapins didn't go so well. They finished with a 2-10 record while ranking 67th nationally in total offense (379.67 ypg) and 87th in scoring offense (23.08 ppg).
Before going to Maryland, Crowton was the offensive coordinator at Oregon (2005-06) and Louisiana State (2007-10). Prior to that, he was 26-23 in four seasons as BYU's head coach.
In other Utah-related coaching news, former receivers coach Billy Gonzales (2003-04) is expected to be named the new offensive coordinator at Illinois. He's been on the staff at LSU since 2009.
Ex-Ute offensive coordinator Andy Ludwig (2005-08), who ran the offense at San Diego State last season, is reportedly being considered for a similar post with Wisconsin.
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 55
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48