A transition is taking place in the historian's office at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Elder Marlin K. Jensen, who has served as church historian and recorder since the April 2005 general conference of the church, will be released from the First Quorum of the Seventy and given emeritus status in October. Elder Steven E. Snow will be released from the Presidency of the Seventy and sustained as the new church historian and recorder. Until then, Elder Jensen and Elder Snow will work together for training and transition purposes.
Elder Jensen, who will turn 70 in May, "has served with excellence and distinction in these assignments," according to a First Presidency letter announcing the transition. Likewise, Elder Snow "has served well in a variety of assignments and duties," the letter notes.
Elder Jensen, a native of Ogden, has been a general authority since April 1, 1989. An attorney by profession, he has served as a member of the Presidency of the Seventy and as executive director of the church's Curriculum, Historical, Priesthood, and Family and Church History departments. He has also served as president of the Utah North, North America Northeast and Europe Central areas.
Elder Snow was born in St. George and was also trained as an attorney. He has been a member of the First Quorum of the Seventy since March of 2001. He has served as executive director of the Priesthood Department and as president of the Africa Southeast Area of the church.
"We extend our sincere gratitude and love to these two Brethren for their outstanding service and devotion," the letter states. "They have our complete confidence and trust."
- Returning LDS missionary, father battling...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone and...
- 'A marvellous work and a wonder': A look back...
- LDS Church releases Easter video, campaign
- Why I don’t call myself a ‘Mormon...
- 18 must-see attractions on and around Temple...
- 'Amazed by Grace' by Sheri Dew explores...
- Lexi Hansen forgives driver who hit her (+video)
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone... 145
- Why I don’t call myself a... 91
- 'A marvellous work and a wonder': A... 57
- What Mormons should know about NBC's... 51
- Kara Tippetts, Christian who blogged... 26
- Why Ted Cruz launched his presidential... 17
- Heaven can wait, Christian bookstore... 17
- Alternative rock/indie band of 5... 9